Dates: Monday, March 10 - Tuesday, March 11
Location: Palmetto Golf Club, Aiken, S.C.
Course Par: 70
Course Yardage: 6,617
Format: 54 holes
- Monday: 36 holes starting at 7:30 a.m. CT
- Tuesday: 18 holes starting at 7:30 a.m. CT
1. Matt Record
2. Mike Siwa
3. Ross Dickson
4. Calvin Freeman
5. Justin Jennings
The Nebraska men’s golf team heads to Aiken, S.C., on Monday and Tuesday for the Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate at Palmetto Golf Club.
Monday’s first round starts at 7:30 a.m. CT, with the second round scheduled for later in the day. Tuesday’s final round is also set to begin at 7:30 a.m., at Palmetto Golf Club, a par-70, 6,617-yard layout.
Fresh off his best performance of the season, senior Matt Record assumes the No. 1 position for the Huskers in South Carolina. Record fired 1-under-par 215 at the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate two weeks ago en route to a tie for 31st.
Fellow senior Mike Siwa represents the No. 2 spot in NU’s lineup. The Omaha, Neb., native has averaged 75.11 strokes over nine rounds this season.
Juniors Ross Dickson and Calvin Freeman are also making the trip and will be Nos. 3 and 4 for Nebraska. Dickson is making his team-leading eighth start of the season. The pair each has a 74.33 stroke average, with Dickson having played three more rounds.
Freshman Justin Jennings is projected to start in the No. 5 position for the Huskers at Palmetto Golf Club. He has a 75.40 stroke average over 15 rounds this season.
The field includes: Akron, Chattanooga, Clemson, Elon, Francis Marion, Furman, Georgia State, GRU Augusta, Liberty, Maryland, Nebraska, NC State, Penn, Presbyterian College, South Carolina, South Carolina Aiken, Virginia and Wofford.
Last Time Out: Record Leads Huskers in California
Senior Matt Record tied for 31st to lead Nebraska to an 18th-place team finish at the conclusion of the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate on Sunday, Feb. 23.
The Huskers shot 297 in the final round for a 54-hole total of 17-over-par 881. In the first round, Nebraska carded 291 before posting a second-round 293. Oregon wrapped up the team championship with an 837 total, edging runner-up Colorado by three strokes.
Record produced a 1-over-par 73 in the final round en route to his best finish of the season. He fired 215 over three rounds at The Classic Club, a par-72, 7,305-yard layout. Record managed rounds of 72 and 70 on the first two days.
Fellow senior Mike Siwa tied for 62nd with a 221 total over 54 holes. Siwa, an Omaha, Neb., native, managed a final-round 75, which tied his second round score. He opened the tournament with 1-under-par 71.
Ross Dickson and Calvin Freeman each carded 77s in the final round to tie for 79th. Over the first two rounds, Dickson shot 73 and 75, while Freeman opened with 75 before a second-round 73 for his 225 total.
Freshman Justin Jennings managed the best Husker score of the day with even-par 72. Jennings tied for 87th at 226 strokes.
Off the Tee:
• The Huskers are making their sixth all-time appearance in the Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate. Last spring Nebraska finished 10th out of 18 teams, shooting 895 over three rounds. The Huskers competed in back-to-back years in 2007 and 2008, managing a third-place finish in 2007. NU won the tournament in 1998 and also competed at it during the 2000 season.
• Nebraska has managed a 295.06 stroke average over 18 rounds (six tournaments) this season. The Huskers have shown successive improvement over each round, averaging 292.83 strokes in the third round. NU has a 298.33 stroke average in the first round and a 294.00 average in the second round.
• The Huskers have managed top-10 finishes in four of their six stroke play events this season. Nebraska closed 2013 with its best finish, a sixth-place result, at the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational in October.
• Ross Dickson has appeared in every tournament this season, compiling a 74.33 stroke average over 18 rounds. The junior managed the best Husker finish of the season so far in his tie for 13th at the Firestone Invitational in October.
• The Huskers will use the same lineup as they did at the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate two weeks ago. Calvin Freeman and Justin Jennings are each making their seventh start of the season. Matt Record is set for his sixth showing and Mike Siwa will be making his fifth appearance of the 2013-14 campaign.
• The Spring Ahead: After this weekend’s trip to South Carolina, the Huskers have four tournaments scheduled, including the Big Ten Championships, May 2-4, at the Pete Dye Course in French Lick, Ind. Nebraska’s next trip is March 20-22 for the Desert Shootout in Goodyear, Ariz. The Huskers travel to Iowa City, Iowa and Rochester, N.Y., during April before the conference tournament.
• Calvin Freeman and Matt Record each finished in the top 30 of the Patriot All-America Invitational at The Wigwam’s Gold Course in Litchfield Park, Ariz., in December 2013. Freeman fired a 2-over-par 212 total over three rounds to tie for 13th among the 83-player field. Record shot 220 to tie for 28th.
• The Huskers signed Ben Maschka for the 2014-15 season during the winter offseason. Maschka will complete his senior year at Omaha Creighton Prep this spring. He finished second individually at the 2013 Nebraska Class A state championship, helping the Junior Jays to their second consecutive team title. He was a semifinalist at the 2013 Nebraska Men’s Match Play and a quarterfinalist at the 2013 Nebraska Junior Match Play.
• Under Head Coach Bill Spangler, who is in his 13th season, Nebraska has won 10 tournament titles. Spangler has also guided the Huskers to 30 top-three tournament finishes and six individual titles.
• The Nebraska men’s golf program has four NCAA Championship appearances along with seven NCAA Regional starts. In each season from 2010 to 2012, the Huskers sent one individual to the NCAA Regionals. Scott Willman tied for 40th at the Norman Regional (2012), Andrew Wyatt tied for 41st at the Colorado Regional (2011) and Brandon Crick tied for eighth at the West Regional (2010).