Last Time Out: Lapa Fires 69 to Tie for Fifth in California
Freshman Kolton Lapa fired a 3-under-par 69 in the final round at the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate on Sunday, Feb. 24, to lead the Nebraska men’s golf team to an eighth-place finish.
The Huskers shot 294 in the final round for a 54-hole total of 895. NU posted 296 in the first round and 305 in the second round at The Classic Club, a par-72, 7,305-yard layout. TCU took home the team title with a three-round total of 845. The Horned Frogs’ Julien Brun captured individual honors with a 206.
Lapa produced a bogey-free round on Sunday, which included birdies on Nos. 1, 10 and 13. He tied for fifth at 215 strokes over three rounds following 73s in each of the first two rounds. Lapa has three consecutive top-10 finishes in stroke play events, dating back to the Herb Wimberly Intercollegiate in October.
Senior Kevin Gillick tied for 44th at 226. Gillick carded a 2-over-par 74 in the final round, which he also shot in the opening round. He notched a 78 in the second round. On Sunday, Gillick made two birdies and four bogeys.
Jordan Reinertson shot a 6-over-par 78 in Sunday’s final round for a 54-hole total of 228. Reinertson birdied Nos. 2 and 15 to go along with six bogeys and one double bogey on Sunday. The senior from Gibbon, Neb., tied for 52nd after posting 74 and 76 in the first and second rounds, respectively.
Matt Record turned in a 4-over-par 76 on Sunday and tied for 55th. The junior birdied the closing holes of each nine but suffered four bogeys and one double bogey in the final round. Record shot 75 and 78 in the first two rounds for a 54-hole total of 229.
Cameron Palmer tied for 88th at 240 strokes. The sophomore produced his best round of the tournament over the final 18 holes with a 3-over-par 75. He added an 85 on Friday and an 80 on Saturday.
Ross Dickson competed as an individual outside of the Husker lineup and tied for 63rd. The sophomore from London, England posted a 4-over-par 76 in the final round. He also shot 76 in the second round to go along with a first-round 80 en route to a 232 total.
Off the Tee:
1. The Huskers are making their fifth all-time appearance in the Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate. Nebraska last competed in Aiken, S.C., in 2008, when it finished 15th, shooting 942 over three rounds. In 2007, the Huskers finished third at 872 strokes. NU also competed at the event in 2000 (15th/15: 907) and 1998 (1st/12: 877).
2. Freshman Kolton Lapa earned Big Ten Golfer-of-the-Week honors on Feb. 27 after tying for fifth at the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate. The weekly accolade was Lapa’s second of the season as he also earned it on Oct. 24, 2012.
3. The Huskers have finished in the top 10 in five of six stroke play tournaments, which includes the team crown at the Fairway Club Invitational. Nebraska finished fourth at the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational, seventh at the Herb Wimberly Intercollegiate, tied for seventh at the D.A. Weibring Intercollegiate and eighth at the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate.
4. Lapa leads the Huskers with a 73.59 stroke average. He is one of two golfers, along with sophomore Ross Dickson, to compete in all seven tournaments (17 stroke play rounds). Dickson has a 74.94 stroke average.
5. Lapa is seeking his fourth consecutive top-10 finish of the season at the Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate. In his last two events of the fall season, Lapa tied for seventh at the Herb Wimberly Intercollegiate before tying for eighth at the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational. He earned his best finish of the season at the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate, where he tied for fifth.
6. The Huskers have a 296.65 stroke average through six stroke play events, often showing successive improvement in each round. Nebraska’s third round scoring average is 292.60. The Huskers are averaging 301.17 in the first round and 295.50 in the second round.
7. The Huskers added three golfers during the offseason. Sophomore Cameron Palmer joined Nebraska and has competed in two tournaments this spring. The other two golfers, Justin Jennings and Ian Hagener, are set to join the team in 2013-14.
8. Nathan Wong will reshirt in his first season with Nebraska. Wong played high school golf at Hamilton in Chandler, Ariz., and joined the Huskers with his twin brother Aaron.
9. Lapa set the school record for freshman 54-hole scoring mark during the fall season at the Herb Wimberly Intercollegiate. He shot 2-under-par 211 for the tournament and tied for seventh. Lapa earned Big Ten Golfer-of-the-Week honors for his performance.
10. The Spring Ahead: The Huskers will compete in four more tournaments, including the Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate, this spring leading up to the Big Ten Championships, April 26-28. NU will travel to Goodyear, Ariz., Jonesboro, Ark., and Iowa City, Iowa, before the conference tournament in French Lick, Ind.
11. Under Head Coach Bill Spangler, who is in his 12th season, the Nebraska men’s golf team has won 10 tournament titles. Spangler has also guided the Huskers to 30 top-three tournament finishes and six individual titles.
12. The Nebraska men’s golf program has four NCAA Championship appearances along with seven NCAA Regional starts. The last three seasons, the Huskers have sent one individual to the NCAA Regionals. Last season Scott Willman tied for 40th at the Norman Regional. In 2011 Andrew Wyatt tied for 41st at the Colorado Regional and in 2010, Brandon Crick tied for eighth at the West Regional.