Lincoln, Neb. - Nebraska women's tennis (14-1, 3-0 Big Ten) scraped together a 6-1 win over No. 37 Illinois (6-6, 0-2 Big Ten) on Friday. The Huskers started slowly at doubles and narrowly captured the point to head into singles where they faced stiff competition in challenging matches but ultimately snatched the win. This is the second meeting of the two teams ever and concluding today's victory for Nebraska the series is tied 1-1.
The doubles matches were close and it started at the No. 3 position where Huskers Maggy Lehmicke and Izabella Zgierska defeated Illinois' Allison Falkin and Julia Jamieson 8-5. Nebraska sealed the point at the No. 2 spot where Janine Weinreich and Stefanie Weinstein toppled Illinois' Breanne Smutko and Audrey O'Connor 8-5. The remaining match at the No. 1 spot did not finish to save time but it was tied at 7-7 between Nebraska's No. 13 Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova and Illinois' No. 22 Melissa Kopinski and Rachael White.
On a 1-0 lead, Nebraska extended its grip on the match to 2-0 at the No. 2 spot when Patricia Veresova ousted Illinois' Allison Falkin 6-2, 6-3. The next point for the Huskers came at the No. 6 position where Izabella Zgierska defeated Illinois' Audrey O'Connor 6-3, 7-5 to push the lead to 3-0.
Nebraska finalized the victory 4-0 at the No. 4 position with Maggy Lehmicke knocking off Illinois' Misia Kedzierski 6-4, 6-3. The No. 1 match finished shortly after with Nebraska's No. 16 Mary Weatherholt edging Illinois' No. 120 Melissa Kopinski 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 to make the score 5-0.
The last two matches finished with Nebraska's Stefanie Weinstein narrowly grabbing the victory at the No. 3 position over Illinois' Rachael White 1-6, 6-3, 7-5 before Illinois' Breanne Smutko defeated the Huskers' Janine Weinreich 3-6, 6-4, 6-4.
Nebraska hosts No. 7 Northwestern at home on Sunday, March 10 at noon before hitting the road to face San Diego on Sunday, March 17 at 10 a.m.
No. 10 Nebraska - 6
No. 37 Illinois - 1
1. No. 16 Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. No. 120 Melissa Kopinski (UI) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2.
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Allison Falkin (UI) 6-2, 6-3.
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Rachael White (UI) 1-6, 6-3, 7-5.
4. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Misia Kedzierski (UI) 6-4, 6-3.
5. Breanne Smutko (UI) def. Janine Weinreich (NU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4.
6. Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Audrey O'Connor (UI) 6-3, 7-5.
Order of finish (2, 6, 4, 1, 3, 5)
1. No. 13 Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NU) vs. No. 22 Melissa Kopinski/Rachael White (UI) 7-7 DNF.
2. Stefanie Weinstein/Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Breanne Smutko/Audrey O'Connor (UI) 8-5.
3. Maggy Lehmicke/Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Allison Falkin/Julia Jamieson (UI) 8-5.
Order of finish (3, 2)