Buy Photo >
The Huskers are making their fourth all-time appearance at the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate.
Courtesy: NU Media Relations
Huskers Journey to California Over Weekend
When: Friday, Feb. 22 - Sunday, Feb. 24
Where: Classic Club, Palm Desert, Calif.
Course Par: 72
Course Yardage: 7,305
Format: 54 holes
Friday: 18 holes starting at 9:30 a.m. CT (Tee Times on Holes 1 & 10)
Saturday: 18 holes starting at 9:30 a.m. CT (Tee Times on Holes 1 & 10)
Sunday: 18 holes starting at 9:30 a.m. CT (Tee Times on Holes 1 & 10)
- Matt Record - Jr.
- Kevin Gillick - Sr.
- Jordan Reinertson - Sr.
- Cameron Palmer - So.
- Kolton Lapa - Fr.
Ross Dickson - So.
After a two-week break from competition, the Nebraska men’s golf team returns to action in Palm Desert, Calif., at the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate presented by Cleveland Golf, Friday through Sunday.
The Huskers will be among 17 teams playing at the Classic Club, a par-72, 7,305-yard layout. Friday’s opening round tees off at 9:30 a.m. (CT) on Hole Nos. 1 and 10. Saturday and Sunday’s action will also start at 9:30 a.m. Stats for the tournament will be available on http://www.golfgamebook.com/club/tournament/elastic/2up-wzfl and a daily recap will be on Huskers.com following each day’s action.
Nebraska will bring six players to Palm Desert, Calif., with sophomore Ross Dickson playing as an individual. Dickson has appeared in every tournament this season including the Big Ten Match Play, Feb. 8-9, where he went 1-2-0.
Junior Matt Record will make his sixth start of the season following a perfect 3-0-0 performance at the Big Ten Match Play. He averaged 74.72 strokes in four fall events.
Kevin Gillick will represent the No. 2 position in the NU lineup. The senior from Lincoln, Neb., went 2-1-0 in Bradenton, Fla., two weeks ago. Gillick is making his third stroke play start of the 2012-13 campaign.
The No. 3 spot for Nebraska will be senior Jordan Reinertson. Reinertson compiled a 76.42 stroke average during the fall and will be making his fourth appearance of the season.
Newcomer Cameron Palmer will play as the No. 4 in the Husker lineup. The sophomore joined the team during the winter and competed at the Big Ten Match Play, where he went 0-2-0.
Freshman Kolton Lapa rounds out the NU starters. Lapa has competed in every tournament for the Huskers this season and led the team in fall stroke average at 74.00. He earned two top-10 finishes to close out the fall and went 0-2-1 in Bradenton.
Last Time Out: Huskers Edged by Gophers at Big Ten Match Play
The Nebraska men’s golf team lost to Minnesota, 3-2-0, in the consolation bracket at the Big Ten Match Play on Saturday, Feb. 9, at The Concession Golf Club.
On Friday, the Huskers fell in their opening match to Purdue, 3-2-0, before defeating Wisconsin, 2-2-1, in the consolation bracket. Minnesota dropped its opening match to Michigan, 3-2-0, and lost to Penn State, 3-1-1. Illinois won the Big Ten Match Play Championship over Michigan State, 5-0-0. The Fighting Illini capped an impressive tournament with a 14-0-1 record.
In Saturday’s opening match, Nebraska’s Kolton Lapa fell to the Gophers’ Erik Van Rooyen by a 5&4 margin. Lapa, a freshman, won the 10th hole to open the match, but Van Rooyen took the lead on the 13th en route to victory.
Sophomore Ross Dickson won the first three holes against Jon DuToit but lost Nos. 13, 15, 16 and 17 to trail 1 Up heading to the second nine. Dickson regained a 1 Up lead with four holes to play before DuToit won Nos. 6, 7 and 9 to close out the match.
Junior Matt Record completed a 3-0-0 weekend at The Concession Golf Club with a 4&3 victory over David Haley Jr. Record lost the opening hole, No. 10, but won Nos. 12-15 to take a 3 Up lead. He never trailed again in the match.
Senior Kevin Gillick also won his match on Saturday, 5&3, over Tyler Lowenstein. The pair matched pars on the first three holes before Gillick’s birdie on the 13th. He won three of the next four holes to take a commanding lead and cruised on the second nine.
In the final match, sophomore Josh Reinertson fell 1 Up to Jon Trasamar. Reinertson never took the lead but squared the match on three occasions before Trasamar held on.
Off the Tee:
- The Huskers are making their fourth all-time appearance in the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate. Last spring Nebraska finished 21st out of 24 teams, shooting 910 over three rounds. The two previous times the Huskers teed it up in Palm Desert, Calif., were 2011 (10th/20: 911) and 2009 (T-3rd/16: 877). The Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate is in its fifth year.
- Junior Matt Record is looking to ride momentum from his perfect 3-0-0 mark in his last outing at the Big Ten Match Play. He ended the fall season with a solid finish, tying for eighth at the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational. Record will be making his sixth start of the 2012-13 season.
- During the 2012 fall campaign, the Huskers finished in the top-10 in four of five tournaments, which included the team title at the Fairway Club Invitational. Nebraska finished fourth at the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational, seventh at the Herb Wimberly Intercollegiate and tied for seventh at the D.A. Weibring Intercollegiate.
- Freshman Kolton Lapa led the Huskers in the fall with a 74.00 stroke average. He was one of two golfers, along with sophomore Ross Dickson, to compete in all five tournaments (14 rounds). Dickson compiled a 74.43 stroke average.
- Lapa is seeking his third consecutive top-10 finish of the season at the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate. In his last two events of the fall season, Lapa tied for seventh at the Herb Wimberly Intercollegiate before tying for eighth at the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational. The Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate will be his first stroke play tournament of the spring season.
- The Huskers have a 296.29 stroke average through five stroke play events, often showing successive improvement in each round. Nebraska’s third round scoring average is 292.25. The Huskers are averaging 302.20 and 293.60 in the first and second rounds, respectively.
- The Huskers added three golfers during the offseason. Sophomore Cameron Palmer joined Nebraska and competed at the Big Ten Match Play two weeks ago. The other two, Justin Jennings and Ian Hagener, are set to join the team in 2013-14.
- Nathan Wong will reshirt in his first season with Nebraska. Wong played high school golf at Hamilton in Chandler, Ariz., and joined the Huskers with his twin brother Aaron.
- Lapa set the school record for freshman 54-hole scoring mark during the fall season at the Herb Wimberly Intercollegiate. He shot 2-under-par 211 for the tournament and tied for seventh. Lapa earned Big Ten Golfer-of-the-Week honors for his performance.
- The Spring Ahead: The Huskers will compete in five tournaments, including the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate, this spring leading up to the Big Ten Championships, April 26-28. NU will travel to Aiken, S.C., Goodyear, Ariz., Jonesboro, Ark., and Iowa City, Iowa, before the conference tournament in French Lick, Ind.
- Under Head Coach Bill Spangler, who is in his 12th season, the Nebraska men’s golf team has won 10 tournament titles. Spangler has also guided the Huskers to 30 top-three tournament finishes and six individual titles.
- The Nebraska men’s golf program has four NCAA Championship appearances along with seven NCAA Regional starts. The last three seasons, the Huskers have sent one individual to the NCAA Regionals. Last season Scott Willman tied for 40th at the Norman Regional. In 2011 Andrew Wyatt tied for 41st at the Colorado Regional and in 2010, Brandon Crick tied for eighth at the West Regional.