Lincoln, Neb. - The No. 53 Nebraska women’s tennis team (5-3, 0-0 Big Ten) defeated Northern Iowa (5-5, 0-0 MVC) on Saturday by a score of 4-1 at the Nebraska Tennis Center. The Huskers earned the doubles point in two matches before sealing three of four singles matches to grab the win over the Panthers.
Starting in doubles, Nebraska got the first win at the No. 2 position when Maike Zeppernick and Izabella Zgierska ousted Northern Iowa’s Elvira Lopez and Astrid Santos 8-3. The Huskers sealed the doubles point at the No. 3 spot when Hannah Sulz and Lisa Andersson defeated the Panthers’ Krissy Lankelma and Sydney Wolfe 8-6. The No. 1 doubles went unfinished.
Nebraska entered singles play with the 1-0 lead, quickly pushing that advantage to 3-0 at the No. 5 position when Zeppernick scorched Northern Iowa’s Lankelma 6-1, 6-0 and the No. 3 spot when Husker Hanna outpaced the Panthers’ Lopez 6-2, 6-3.
Northern Iowa brought one point back to make the score 3-1 at the No. 6 position when Wolfe toppled NU’s Lauren Wagner 6-4, 6-1. The match was decided at the No. 2 spot when the Cornhuskers’ Zgierska outplayed the Panthers’ Santos 6-3, 6-3. The remaining matches at the No. 1 and 4 positions went unfinished.
Next up for the Huskers is Drake on Friday, Feb. 28 at 5 p.m. and Colorado State on Sunday, March 2 at 11 a.m. at the Nebraska Tennis Center in their two-match weekend at home.
No. 53 Nebraska - 4
Northern Iowa - 1
1. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) vs. Jieke Stroobant (NIU) DNF
2. Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Erica Medlin (NIU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Mary Hanna (NU) def. Elvira Lopez (NIU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Lisa Andersson (NU) vs. Astrid Santos (NIU) DNF
5. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Krissy Lankelma (NIU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Sydney Wolfe (NIU) def. Lauren Wagner (NU) 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish (5, 3, 6, 2)
1. Maggy Lehmicke/Mary Hanna (NU) vs. Jieke Stroobant/Erica Medlin (NIU) DNF
2. Maike Zeppernick/Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Elvira Lopez/Astrid Santos (NIU) 8-3
3. Hannah Sulz/Lisa Andersson (NU) def. Krissy Lankelma/Sydney Wolfe (NIU) 8-6
Order of finish (2, 3)