Ithaca, N.Y. - The Nebraska men’s tennis team (7-4, 0-0 Big Ten) split their matches in the double-header on Saturday against Cornell (7-4, 0-0 Ivy League) and the New Jersey Institute of Technology (5-3). In the first match the Huskers slipped 5-2 against the Big Red but rallied in the next match to sweep the Highlanders 7-0.
No. 50 Nebraska - 2
Cornell - 5
In doubles, Cornell grabbed the lead with a win by Sam Fleck and Chris Vrabel over Nebraska’s Bradford Zitsch and Brandon Videtich 8-3 at the No. 1 followed by a victory at the No. 2 when Jason Luu and Colin Sinclair toppled NU’s Dusty Boyer and Andrew Dzulynsky 8-6. The match at the No. 3 went unfinished.
Going into singles Cornell had the 1-0 lead, but Nebraska secured a couple points at the No. 1 and 4 position. At the No. 1, NU’s Boyer ousted the Big Red’s Fleck 7-5, 7-5 while fellow Husker Dzulynsky defeated Cornell’s Luu 6-3, 7-6. At the No. 2 spot, CU’s Stefan Vinti outpaced the Huskers’ Marc Herrmann 6-5, 6-1 while fellow Big Red teammate Bernardo Casared outplayed NU’s Tom Blackwell 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-4) at the No. 3. At the No. 5 position, Cornell’s Vrabel defeated Nebraska’s Vasileios Stavropoulos 6-4, 6-3 while CU teammate Sinclair knocked off the Huskers’ Videtich 2-6, 6-0, 6-4 at the No. 6 spot.
“We didn't play a complete match,” Nebraska Coach Kerry McDermott said. “I feel like we let some opportunities get away from us and Cornell took advantage of a few guys letting them back in some singles matches.”
1. Sam Fleck/Chris Vrabel (CU) def. Brandon Videtech/Bradford Zitsch (NU) 8-3
2. Jason Luu/Colin Sinclair (CU) def. Dusty Boyer/Andrew Dzulynsky (NU) 8-6
3. Bernardo Casares/Alex Sidney (CU) vs. Beau Treyz/Marc Herrmann (NU) DNF
1. Dusty Boyer (NU) def. Sam Fleck (CU) 7-5, 7-5
2. Stefan Vinti (CU) def. Marc Herrmann (NU) 6-5, 6-1
3. Bernardo Casares (CU) def. Tom Blackwell (NU) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-4)
4. Andrew Dzulynsky (NU) def. Jason Luu (CU) 6-3, 7-6
5. Chris Vrabel (CU) def. Vasileios Stavropoulos (NU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Colin Sinclair (CU) def. Brandon Videtich (NU) 2-6, 6-0, 6-4
No. 50 Nebraska - 7
NJIT - 0
In doubles, Nebraska won all three matches to take the doubles point. At the No. 1 position, NU’s Brandon Videtich and Bradford Zitsch outplayed NJIT’s Andres Alban and Erik Artursson 8-4 while fellow Huskers Marc Herrmann and Beau Treyz ousted the Highlanders’ Markus Schultz and Holger Norregaard 8-4 at the No. 2 spot. The last match at the No. 3 ended in a victory for Nebraska’s Dusty Boyer and Tom Blackwell over NJIT’s Carl Jedlinski and Arnaud Holl 8-2.
Moving into singles with the 1-0 advantage, Nebraska swept the singles to win the match 7-0. At the No. 1 position, NU’s Boyer ousted NJIT’s Schultz 6-4, 7-6 (11-9) while fellow Husker Herrmann defeated Highlander Norregaard 7-5, 6-1 at the No. 2 spot. At the No. 3, Nebraska’s Blackwell outplayed NJIT’s Alban 6-2, 6-2 while fellow Scarlet and Cream teammate Andrew Dzulynsky scorched the Highlanders’ Artursson 6-0, 6-3 at the No. 4. At the No. 5 spot, Nebraska’s Treyz outlasted NJIT’s Jedlinski 6-2, 6-4 while Husker teammate Vasileios Stavropoulos defeated the Highlanders’ Holl 6-1, 6-3 at the No. 6 position.
“It was great to see the team turn around one hour later,” Nebraska Coach Kerry McDermott said. “We bounced back into the win column against a very good NJIT team that lost a tough battle last night to the University of Buffalo who earlier in the year beat Cornell so we knew we had a tough match to get after. We played solid in both singles and doubles. It was just great to get a win on the road and go home ready for next week’s home matches with Utah, Drake, and North Dakota.”
1. Brandon Videtich/Bradford Zitsch (NU) def. Andres Alban/Erik Artursson (NJIT) 8-4
2. Marc Herrmann/Beau Treyz (NU) def. Markus Schultz/Holger Norregaard (NJIT) 8-4
3. Dusty Boyer/Tom Blackwell (NU) def. Carl Jedlinski/Arnaud Holl (NJIT) 8-2
1. Dusty Boyer (NU) def. Markus Schultz (NJIT) 6-4, 7-6 (11-9)
2. Marc Herrmann (NU) def. Holger Norregaard (NJIT) 7-5, 6-1
3. Tom Blackwell (NU) def. Andres Alban (NJIT) 6-2, 6-2
4. Andrew Dzulynsky (NU) def. Erik Artursson (NJIT) 6-0, 6-3
5. Beau Treyz (NU) def. Carl Jedlinski (NJIT) 6-2, 6-4
6. Vasileios Stavropoulos (NU) def. Arnaud Holl (NJIT) 6-1, 6-3