Evanston, Ill.-The No. 34 Nebraska women's tennis team was defeated by No. 20 Northwestern on Sunday in Evanston, Ill., ending NU's run toward the ITA National Indoor Championship. The Huskers (1-1) fell in a hard-fought match to Wildcats (2-2) by a score of 7-0. Despite the sweep, the match was extremely competitive and saw Nebraska fall in several close matches.
The day started off with doubles play at the No. 3 position, where Jennifer Holmberg (NU) and Janine Weinreich (NU) were defeated by Maria Mosolova (NW) and Belinda Niu (NW) by a score of 8-3. Mary Weatherholt (NU) and Patricia Veresova (NU) then dropped a competitive match to Elena Chernyakova (NW) and Brittany Wowchuk (NW) at the No. 2 position. The 6-5 final score featured multiple lead changes, but Northwestern was able to edge the Husker duo at the end. The No. 1 spot featured another close match between Linda Abu Mushrefova (NW) and Nida Hamilton (NW) and NU's Madeleine Geibert and Stefanie Weinstein, but Nebraska was again defeated by a score of 8-6.
Play then shifted to singles action, where the Huskers struggled and were unable to win any of the matches, despite several very close scores that nearly saw NU prevailing. At No. 1 singles, Mosolova took the victory by a score of 2-6, 2-1 after Weatherholt was forced to retire from the match. Shortly thereafter, Weinreich was narrowly defeated by Stacey Lee at the No. 5 position by a score of 6-4, 3-6, 1-0. The No. 6 spot notched another loss for the the Huskers, as Holmberg fell to Hamilton, 6-2, 6-1. No 2. singles saw Geibert fall to Wowchuk, 6-3, 6-3. At the No. 3 position, Veresova was defeated in a competitive match by Nui, 6-1, 6-7, 1-0. Northwestern then sealed the deal with another close victory at the No. 4 spot, where Kate Turvy defeated Weinstein, 6-4, 3-6, 1-0.
Nebraska will have several days to prepare before a series of home matches this weekend at the Nebraska Tennis Center. The Huskers will take on Wyoming on Friday, Feb. 4 at 5 p.m. and Illinois State on Sunday, Feb, 6 at Noon.
1. Maria Mosolova (NW) def. Mary Weatherholt (NU), 2-6, 2-1 (retirement)
2. Brittany Wowchuk (NW) def. Madeleine Geibert (NU), 6-3, 6-3
3. Belinda Niu (NW) def. Patricia Veresova (NU), 6-1, 6-7, 1-0
4. Kate Turvy (NW) def. Stefanie Weinstein (NU), 6-4, 3-6, 1-0
5. Stacey Lee (NW) def. Janine Weinreich (NU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Nida Hamilton (NW) def. Jennifer Holmberg (NU), 6-2, 6-1
1. Linda Abu Mushrefova/Hamilton (NW) def. Geibert/Weinstein (NU), 8-6
2. Elena Chernyakova/Wowchuk (NW) def. Weatherholt/Veresova (NU), 6-5
3. Mosolova/Niu (NW) def. Holmberg/Weinreich (NU), 8-3
Order of Finish
Singles (1, 5, 6, 2, 3, 4)
Doubles (3, 2, 1)