Nebraska's dominant play in singles and doubles action helped them claim a 7-0 sweep of Illinois State at the Nebraska Tennis Center on Sunday. The No. 33 Huskers (3-1) shot out of the gates with three consecutive doubles wins over the Redbirds (0-3) and didn't look back.
The day started off with doubles action. Nebraska's Jennifer Holmberg and Frederike Putthoff started out the Huskers on the right foot, sweeping Hanna Esker and Heather Nisbet, 8-0. No. 2 doubles was the next to finish, with Janine Weinreich and Patricia Veresova of Nebraska defeating Arianne Maack and Carolina Abello, 8-1 to clinch the doubles point for the Huskers. The final doubles match completed was at the No. 1 spot, where Nebraska's Madeleine Geibert and Stefanie Weinstein downed Amiko Kiss and Phyllis Tiggess, 8-2.
The dual then moved on to singles. No. 2 singles saw Veresova defeat Tigges, 6-0, 6-1. Next to finish was Madeleine Geibert at the No. 1 spot, where she earned the win over Amiko Kiss by a score of 6-0, 6-3. The No. 5 match wrapped up next, where NU's Maike Zeppernick posted a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Hanna Esker. Stefanie Weinstein posted the next team point for Nebraska with her victory over Ariana Maack at the No. 3 position, 6-2, 6-1. After taking the first game in No. 6 singles, Abby Buxton fell behind early but battled back to capture a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Gabriella Phillips. Wrapping things up for the Huskers was Frederike Putthoff, who fought through a close match against Carolina Abello to snag a 6-0, 7-6 (7) victory and complete the sweep for the Huskers.
Nebraska now rises to 3-1 on the season. NU will take a short break before they are back in action on Saturday with a double-header at the Nebraska Tennis Center. The Huskers will challenge Eastern Michigan at 9:30 a.m. and Northern Iowa at 3:30 p.m.
1. Madeleine Geibert (NU) def. Amiko Kiss (ISU), 6-0, 6-3
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Phyllis Tigges (ISU), 6-0, 6-1
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Ariane Maack (ISU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Frederike Putthoff (NU) def. Carolina Abello (ISU), 6-0, 7-6 (7)
5. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Hanna Esker (ISU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Abby Buxton (NU) def. Gabriella Phillips (SU), 6-4, 6-4
1. Geibert/Weinstein (NU) def. Kiss/Tigges (ISU), 8-2
2. Weinreich/Veresova (NU) def. Maack/Abello (SU), 8-1
3. Holmberg/Putthoff (NU) def. Esker/Nisbet (ISU), 8-0
Order of Finish
Singles (2, 1, 5, 3, 6, 4)
Doubles (3, 2, 1)