Hooper Earns Big 12 Freshman Honor
Lincoln - Nebraska's Jordan Hooper earned her third Big 12 Freshman-of-the-Week award of the season, when the conference office announced its weekly winners on Monday.
Hooper, a 6-2 forward from Alliance, Neb., produced one of the top performances by a freshman in school history with 31 points and eight rebounds in Nebraska's battle at Missouri on Feb. 2. Hooper tied the NU school record with seven three-pointers against the Tigers, including six in the second half. She scored 28 second-half points at MU after playing just seven first-half minutes because of foul trouble.
Hooper brought the Huskers back from a 17-point halftime deficit to take a one-point lead on a 25-foot three-pointer near the top of the key with less than five minutes left in the game.
Hooper's 31 points trailed only Deb Powell's 34 against Notre Dame in 1982 for the most points ever scored by a Nebraska freshman. Hooper matched Kelsey Griffin's 31-point performance against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi in 2005.
Hooper added 14 points on 5-of-8 shooting at Colorado on Sunday. She hit two more three-pointers against the Buffaloes to push her season total to 49 - surpassing Anna DeForge's previous Nebraska freshman record of 46 set in 1994-95.
Hooper averaged 22.5 points and 6.5 rebounds for the week, while shooting better than 50 percent from the field, including 9-of-16 from three-point range. She also went 10-for-10 at the foul line during the week.
For the season, Hooper is averaging a team-best 15.2 points per game, while leading all Big 12 freshmen with 6.8 rebounds per contest. She also ranks second among Big 12 freshmen with 49 three-pointers on the season.
Among all Big 12 players, Hooper ranks in the top 15 in the league in both scoring (11th) and rebounding (14th), while ranking fourth in three-pointers made per game (2.2) and seventh in three-point percentage (.405).
Hooper shared the Big 12 weekly award with Texas freshman Chassidy Fussell. Both rookies have won the award three times this season, joining Oklahoma's Aaryn Ellenberg for the most awards by a league freshman this season.
Hooper will lead the Huskers against preseason Big 12 Player of the Year Brittany Griner and preseason Big 12 Freshman of the Year Odyssey Sims, when No. 1 Baylor comes to the Devaney Center on Wednesday at 7:05 p.m.
Phillips 66 Big 12 Players of the Week
- Nov. 15 -- Mariah White (KSU) and Danielle Robinson (OU)
- Nov. 22 -- Dominique Kelley (NU)
- Nov. 29 -- Brittney Griner (BU)
- Dec. 6 -- Brittney Griner (BU)
- Dec. 13 -- Danielle Adams (TAMU)
- Dec. 20 -- Brittney Griner (BU) and Danielle Adams (TAMU)
- Dec. 27 -- Toni Young (OSU) and Teena Wickett (TTU)
- Jan. 3 -- Lindsey Moore (NU)
- Jan. 10 -- RaeShara Brown (MU)
- Jan. 17 -- Danielle Robinson (OU)
- Jan. 24 -- Danielle Adams (TAMU)
- Jan. 31 -- Danielle Robinson (OU)
- Feb. 7 -- Brittany Chambers (KSU)
Phillips 66 Big 12 Freshmen of the Week
- Nov. 15 -- Jordan Hooper (NU)
- Nov. 22 -- Chassidy Fussell (UT)
- Nov. 29 -- Jordan Hooper (NU)
- Dec. 6 -- Aaryn Ellenberg (OU)
- Dec. 13 -- Morgan Hook (OU)
- Dec. 20 -- Odyssey Sims (BU)
- Dec. 27 -- Odyssey Sims (BU)
- Jan. 3 -- Chassidy Fussell (UT)
- Jan. 10 -- Aaryn Ellenberg (OU)
- Jan. 17 -- Odyssey Sims (BU)
- Jan. 24 -- Aaryn Ellenberg (OU)
- Jan. 31 -- Odyssey Sims (BU)
- Feb. 7 -- Jordan Hooper (NU) and Chassidy Fussell (UT)