Lincoln - A strong class of 15 Husker student-athletes earned their bachelor's degrees from the University of Nebraska during summer commencement exercises at the Bob Devaney Sports Center on Saturday morning.
Coach Bo Pelini's Nebraska football team made up half the class of summer student-athlete graduates. Senior defensive tackle Jared Crick headlined the list. The history major from Cozad, Neb., will compete during his senior season with degree in hand as a candidate for several major national awards. A unanimous preseason All-American and preseason Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, Crick is also a candidate for the Walter Camp Award, Outland Trophy, Lombardi Award, Bednarik Award and the Bronko Nagurski Award. Crick is joined on the list of Husker football graduates by former teammates Ricky Henry, Keith Williams, Marlon Lucky, Ryan Hill, Ben Martin and Matt O'Shea.
Coach Gary Pepin's track and field program added four members to the group of Husker graduates, including Lukas Hulett, Sam Haase, Brett Gooden and Cami Jiskra. Nebraska volleyball All-American Tara Mueller earned her bachelor's degree as a communication studies major for Coach John Cook's nationally prominent program, while Scott Kwiatkowski represented Coach Mark Manning's wrestling program as a new graduate. Garret Durst added a degree for Coach Chuck Chmelka's men's gymnastics program, while Tyler Rank rounded out the Husker graduates as a former member of the Husker baseball team.
The Husker graduating class provides an exciting mixture of student-athletes who came from near and far to call Nebraska home during their collegiate careers. The 2011 August graduates came to Nebraska from seven states, while also featuring nine Nebraska natives. The Huskers continue to lead the nation in the number of CoSIDA Academic All-Americans (291) and NCAA Top Eight Award winners (16) across all sports.
August 2011 Nebraska Student-Athlete Graduates (15)
- Student-Athlete (Sport), Hometown (Major)
- Crick, Jared (Football), Cozad, Neb. (History)
- Durst, Garret (Men's Gymnastics), Lincoln, Neb. (Broadcasting)
- Gooden, Brett (Men's Track & Field), Imperial, Neb. (Political Science)
- Haase, Sam (Men's Track & Field), Norfolk, Neb. (Advertising)
- Henry, Ricky (Football), Omaha, Neb. (Sociology)
- Hill, Ryan (Football), Arvada, Colo. (Business Administration/Marketing)
- Hulett, Lukas (Men's Track & Field), Bellevue, Neb. (Sociology)
- Jiskra, Cami (Women's Track & Field), Lincoln, Neb. (Criminology & Criminal Justice)
- Kwiatkowski, Scott (Wrestling), Kearney, Neb. (Business Administration)
- Lucky, Marlon (Football), North Hollywood, Calif. (Sociology)
- Martin, Ben (Football), Lincoln, Neb. (Biological Sciences)
- Mueller, Tara (Volleyball), Scottsdale, Ariz. (Communication Studies)
- O'Shea, Matt (Football), Irving, Texas (Communication Studies)
- Rank, Tyler (Baseball), Rochester, Minn. (Criminology & Criminal Justice)
- Williams, Keith (Football), Florissant, Mo. (Art)