Lincoln, Neb. - The 17th-ranked Nebraska women’s
tennis team swept the Eastern Michigan Eagles on Saturday by a score of 7-0.
This marks the first win at home and the first win of the season for the
Huskers who come to 1-0 (0-0 Big Ten).
The Huskers and Eagles dual kicked off early on a bitter
cold morning at the Nebraska Tennis Center in Lincoln. Nebraska took the first
doubles win at the No. 1 position, with Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova
(NU) toppling Klara Supejova and Nino Mebuke (EMU), 8-3.
The second doubles victory quickly followed at the No. 2
position sealing the doubles point for the Huskers, where Stefanie Weinstein
and Janine Weinreich (NU) ousted Daphne Friedrichs and Mariya Toncheva (EMU),
Due to a rule change this season, if the doubles point is
decided in the first two concluding matches then the third doubles match is
left unfinished. This was the case at the No. 3 position where Maggy Lehmicke
and Izabella Zgierska (NU) were leading Zsofia Biro and Ankita Bhatia (EMU),
6-4; however the match was left unfinished.
Nebraska and Eastern Michigan entered singles play with the
Huskers leading 1-0. Nebraska extended its lead to 2-0 at the No. 5 position
when Lehmicke (NU) swept past Biro (EMU), 6-1, 6-0. The lead jumped to 3-0
shortly after when Weatherholt (NU) defeated Supejova (EMU) at the No. 2
position, 6-2, 6-1.
The Huskers sealed the win going up 4-0 at the No. 1 position.
Nebraska’s Veresova battled hard to emerge victorious against Eastern Michigan’s
Mebuke, 6-2, 6-2. The Huskers maintained the shutout moving to 5-0 at the No. 3
position where Weinstein (NU) beat Friedrichs (EMU), 6-2, 6-2.
Even with the results of the dual already set in stone, the
last two matches were shootouts to the finish. At the No. 4 position, the lead
was pushed to 6-0 when Nebraska’s Weinreich defeated Eastern Michigan’s
Toncheva, 6-2, 6-4. The dual wrapped up at the No. 6 singles position with Nebraska’s
Izabella Zgierska defeat over Ankita Bhatia (EMU), 6-0, 7-5.
The Huskers will see their next action at home against
Creighton on Tuesday, Jan. 22. The match is scheduled to start at 4 p.m. at the
Nebraska Tennis Center.
No. 17 Nebraska - 7
Eastern Michigan - 0
Nebraska Tennis Center
1. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Nino Mebuke (EMU), 6-2, 6-2.
2. Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Klara Supejova (EMU), 6-2, 6-1.
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Daphne Friedrichs (EMU), 6-2, 6-2.
4. Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Mariya Toncheva (EMU), 6-2, 6-4.
5. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Zsofia Biro (EMU), 6-1, 6-0.
6. Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Ankita Bhatia (EMU), 6-0, 7-5.
Order of finish (5, 2, 1, 3, 4, 6)
1. Patricia Veresova/Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Nino Mebuke/Klara Supejova
2. Stefanie Weinstein/Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Daphne Friedrichs/Mariya
Toncheva (EMU), 8-2.
3. Maggy Lehmicke/Izabella Zgierska (NU) led Zsofia Biro/Ankita Bhatia (EMU),
Order of finish (1, 2, 3)