Evanston, Ill.-The No. 39 Nebraska women's tennis team was narrowly edged by No. 12 Northwestern in the regional final of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend on Sunday. The Huskersr (1-1) won the doubles point but fell just short in singles, falling by a score of 4-3 against the Wildcats (3-0).
The Huskers began the afternoon with another dominating doubles win by Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Versova (NU). The pair topped Veronica Corning and Belinda Niu (NW) by a score of 8-2 in No. 2 doubles.
Northwestern pushed back, capturing a victory on the No. 3 doubles court. The doubles point came down to the No. 1 position, where No. 53 Madeleine Geibert and Stefanie Weinstein (NU) took the big upset win over No. 6 Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton (NW), 9-7. The win marks the highest ranked opponent Geibert and Weinstein have defeated during their time at NU.
The teams took to the singles courts next and Northwestern jumped out to a 2-1 lead with wins at the No. 5 and No. 3 positions. The Huskers battled back, beginning with Veresova's win over Corning in No. 2 singles, 1-6, 7-5, 6-1. No. 100 Weinstein then gave Nebraska a 3-2 lead with her win over Niu on the No. 4 singles court, 1-6, 6-4, 6-2.
Northwestern tied things up again as No. 26 Turvy edged No. 50 Weatherholt, 7-6, 7-6 in No. 1 singles. The match outcome would come down to the No. 6 position, where Maike Zeppernick (NU) had battled back against Hamilton to take the match to a third set. Zeppernick was unable to hold on, falling by a final score of 6-4, 6-7, 6-1.
Despite the loss, NU's resiliency and strength in the hard-fought match point to a bright season for the Huskers. Nebraska will return to Lincoln next weekend, hosting Wyoming and Eastern Michigan in a doubleheader on Saturday. The Huskers will face Wyoming at 11 a.m. before taking on Eastern Michigan at 4:30 p.m. Both matches will be held at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
No. 39 Nebraska 3 (1-1), No. 12 Northwestern 4 (3-0)
ITA Kick-Off Weekend--Final
Combe Tennis Center
1. No. 26 Kate Turvy (NW) def. No. 50 Mary Weatherholt (NU), 7-6, 7-6
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Veronica Corning (NW), 1-6, 7-5, 6-1
3. No. 86 Brittany Wowchuck (NW) def. Madeleine Geibert (NU), 6-1, 6-3
4. No. 100 Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Belinda Niu (NW), 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NW) def. No. 84 Janine Weinreich (NU), 6-1, 6-4
6. Nida Hamilton (NW) def. Maike Zeppernick (NU), 6-4, 6-7, 6-1
1. No. 53 Madeleine Geibert/Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. No. 6 Linda Abu Mushrefova/Nida Hamilton (NW), 9-7
2. Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Versova (NU) def. Veronica Corning/Brittany Wowchuck (NW), 8-2
3. Belinda Niu/Kate Turvy (NW) def. Jennifer Holmberg/Maike Zeppernick (NU), 8-2
Order of finish
Doubles (2, 3, 1)
Singles (5, 3, 2, 4, 1, 6)