Huskers Shoot Down Redbirds in Home Opener
Lincoln, Neb. - The Nebraska men's tennis team won four singles matches and one doubles match in their home opener Friday against the Illinois State Redbirds at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
The duo of Dusty Boyer and Bradford Zitsch pulled out the team's lone doubles victory against Illinois State's Erik Brunskog and Rolondo Torrellas, 8-4.
In singles play the first win of the night came from Sebastian Florczyk. He knocked of the Redbirds' Rodrigo Oliveira 6-2, 6-1. Eric Sock rolled past ISU's Jacob Wilson 6-3, 6-3, while Andre Stenger defeated the Redbirds' Jakub Eisner 7-6, 6-3. Tom Blackwell provided the team's final singles win against ISU's Torrellas, winning 6-2, 6-4.
Playing in the No. 1 spot in the lineup, Marc Herrmann dropped a hard-fought battle to the Redbirds' Alexander Pelaez, while Dusty Boyer lost in a tie breaker to ISU's Erik Brunskog 5-7, 6-4, 0-1.
The Huskers will face off against Oklahoma State Sunday 10 a.m. at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
Nebraska vs. Illinois State
Nebraska Tennis Center
Friday, Feb. 1, 2013
1. (ISU) Alexander Pelaez/ Muddappa Appanervanda def. (NU) Andre Stenger/Sebastian Florczyk 8-7
2. (NU) Dusty Boyer/ Bradford Zitsch def. (ISU) Erik Brunskog/ Rolondo Torrellas 8-4
3. (ISU) Jakub Eisner/ Michael Sellitto def. (NU) Marc Herrmann/ Brandon Videtich 8-3
1.(ISU) Alexander Pelaez def. (NU) Marc Herrmann 7-6, 6-3
2.(ISU) Erik Brunskog def. (NU)Dusty Boyer 5-7, 6-4, 0-1
3. (NU) Andre Stenger def.(ISU) Jakub Eisner 7-6, 6-3
4. (NU) Eric Sock def. (ISU) Jacob Wilson 6-3, 6-3
5. (NU) Tom Blackwell def. (ISU) Rolondo Torrelas 6-2, 6-4
6. (NU) Sebastian Florczyk def. (ISU) Rodrigo Oliveira 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish 3, 2, 1 4, 6, 3, 2, 5, 1