Nebraska Suffers Narrow Loss to No. 32 Minnesota
Lincoln, Neb- The No. 62 Nebraska mens tennis team (10-13) fell in a close match 5-2 to the No. 32 Minnesota Gophers on Friday, April 19 at the Nebraska Tennis Center. This loss puts the Huskers conference record at 2-8.
The Huskers played close matches at No. 2 and 3 doubles. Playing at No. 2 doubles Dusty Boyer and Marc Herrmann knocked off the Gophers pair of Juan Pablo Ramirez and Rok Bonin 9-7, while the Huskers pair of Brandon Videtich and Scott Elsass had a narrow loss to Leandro Toledo and Eric Frueh 8-6. At No. 1 doubles Andre Stenger and Eric Sock fell to Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment 8-2.
In Singles action the Huskers started strong, but could not capture the points needed to clinch the match. Tom Blackwell beat Jack Hamburg 6-4, 6-4, and Marc Herrmann went on to beat Mathieu Froment 6-3, 6-3. Andrew Dzyulynsky lost to Ruben Weber 6-3, 6-3. Andre won his first set, but went on to lose the next two sets. He fell 2-6, 6-2, 6-2 to Leandro Toledo. Dusty Boyer struggled in his first set against Rok Bonin losing 6-3, but went on to win the next 6-4. At this point the Huskers needed to victories at No. 1 and No. 6 in order to secure the win. Boyer lost to Rok Bonin 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 at No. 1 singles, and Sebastian Florczyk fell to Juan Pablo Ramirez 6-5, 3-6, 7-6 (2).
"Tough match to lose especially after winning the first set in singles on four courts", said Coach Kerry McDermott. "A very beatable team and pretty disappointing not finishing them off in singles. We have to move on and get ready for Wisconsin on Sunday. We will need our guys to bounce back and show some courage on Sunday".
No. 32 Minnesota 5 def. Nebraska 2
Nebraska Tennis Center
1. (MINN) Hamburg/ Froment def. (NU) Stenger/ Sock 8-2
2. (NU) Herrmann/ Boyer def. (MINN) Ramirez/ Bonin 9-7 (4)
3. (MINN) Toledo/ Frueh def. (NU) Videtich Elsass 8-6
1, 3, 2
1. (MINN) Rok Bonin def. (NU) Dusty Boyer def. 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
2. (MINN) Leandro Toledo def. (NU) Andre Stenger 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. (NU) Tom Blackwell def. (MINN) Jack Hamburg 6-4, 6-4
4. (NU) Marc Herrmann def. (MINN) Mathieu Froment 6-3, 6-3
5. (MINN) Ruben Weber def. (NU) Andrew Dzulynsky 6-3, 6-3
6. (MINN) Juan Pablo Ramirez def. (NU) Sebastian Florczyk 6-5, 3-6,
Order of Finish 5, 3, 4, 2, 6, 1