In doubles play, Nebraska's No. 11 team of Benedikt Lindheim and Christopher Aumueller were victorious on court No. 1 over Illinois' No. 41 squad of Dennis Nevolo and Roy Kalmanovich, 8-4. On court No. 2 Illinois' team of Stephen Hoh and Bruno Abdelnour downed NU's Robert Schulze and Andre Stenger, 8-5. Illinois' duo of Tim Kopinski and Farris Gosea defeated Nebraska's Eric Sock and Stefan Gollner on court No. 3, 8-2.
Illinois kept their doubles momentum going into singles play, winning five of the six matches and eventually clinching the victory.
On court No. 1, Illinois No. 4 Nevolo downed NU's No. 61 Aumueller in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. Illinois No. 21 Kalmanovich got the better of Nebraska's No. 71 Lindhiem on court No. 2, 1-6, 6-4, 12-10.
The Huskers lone point came on court No. 3 when Andre Stenger defeated the Fighting Illini's Stephen Hoh in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2.
Illinois' Abdelnour defeated NU's Gollner, 6-3, 6-2. Gollner was at the No. 4 spot in the Husker lineup. At the No. 5 spot was Tom Blackwell, who was defeated by the Illini's Kopinski, 6-0, 6-4. The Illini's Gosea downed NU's Schulze on court No. 6, 6-1, 6-4.
After the match, Nebraska's head coach Kerry McDermott said that the Illini were the better team this afternoon.
"It was a tough match," McDermott said. "We got beat by a better team. We kind of dug ourselves in a hole by losing the doubles point and then they just overpowered us in the bottom of the lineup.
"Other than that, Andre had a good win. I think he played well. If he could play like that all the time he could show the rest of the team to step it up when we need it."
The Huskers will have some time off until they travel to San Luis Obispo, Calif., on March 18, for a match against Cal Poly. First serve is set for 2 p.m.
No. 18 Illinois 6 def. No. 54 Nebraska 1
1. No. 11 Aumueller/Lindehim (NU) def. No. 41 Nevolo/Kalmanovich (IU), 8-4
2. Hoh/Abdeelnour (IU) def. Stenger/Schulze (NU), 8-5
3. Kopinski/Gosea (IU) def. Sock/Gollner (NU), 8-2
1. No. 4 Dennis Nevolo (IU) def. No. 61 Christopher Aumueller (NU), 6-2, 6-4
2. No. 21 Roy Kalmanovich (IU) def. No. 71 Benedikt Lindheim (NU), 1-6, 6-4, 12-10
3. Andre Stenger (NU) def. Stephen Hoh (IU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Bruno Abdelnour (IU) def. Stefan Gollner (NU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Tim Kopinski (IU) def. Tom Blackwell (NU), 6-0, 6-4
6. Farris Gosea (IU) def. Robert Schluze (NU), 6-1, 6-4