Bristol, Tenn.- The Nebraska men's tennis team knocked off No. 74 East Tennessee State, 4-2, as the Huskers notched their fourth straight win, and second win of the day on Saturday.
The Huskers improved to 5-3 on the spring with their third consecutive win over an ITA Top 75 opponent with the win at ETSU. The victory followed a 4-3 win over No. 60 Georgia State earlier in the day in Tennessee. Last Sunday, NU added a win over a top-35 VCU squad.
The Huskers played well in doubles, capturing the point with victories at the No. 1 and No. 2 spots.
The Huskers kept their momentum going into singles play. Dusty Boyer and Marc Herrmann each collected their second singles wins of the day. Against ETSU, Boyer rolled to a 6-1, 6-2 victory over ETSU's Jorge Varon. Herrmann knocked off ETSU's Rogerio Ribeiro 6-4, 6-4.
Eric Sock fell to the Bucs' Juan Ramirez 6-4, 6-3, before ETSU's Jesus Bandres added a 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 win over NU's Andre Stenger.
Tom Blackwell secured the win for the Huskers by improving to 8-0 on the season with his 4-6, 6-1, 6-1 victory over ETSU's Roger Ordeig in the No. 5 spot.
"It was a great win that started off with a great performance in winning the doubles point at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles", Coach Kerry McDermott said. "The energy ignited our singles play, and our guys just refuse to lose. I tip my hat off to Marc, Dusty, and Tom, who were the backbone of our singles lineup today. These guys have the will to win and are gamers. I love this team. I hope we can keep working hard, and competing every time we step on the court no matter the situation."
The Huskers will face off against Wichita State Monday, Feb. 25, 2013 at the Nebraska Tennis Center in Lincoln at 2:30 p.m.
NU (4) vs No. 74 ETSU (2)
Saturday, Feb. 16, 2013 (3 p.m.)
1. (NU) Andre Stenger/Marc Herrmann def. (ETSU) /Jesus Bandres/Rogerio Ribeiro 8-7
2. (NU) Dusty Boyer/Bradford Zitsch def. (ETSU) Juan Ramirez/Jorge Varon 8-6
3. (ETSU) Ricardo Pabon/Roger Ordeig vs. (NU) Scott Elsass/Brandon Videtich (No Finish)
Order of finish: 2, 1
1. (ETSU) Jesus Bandres def. (NU) Andre Stenger 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
2. (NU) Marc Herrmann def. (ETSU) Rogerio Ribeiro 6-4, 6-4
3. (NU) Dusty Boyer def. (ETSU) Jorge Varon 6-1, 6-2
4. (ETSU) Juan Ramirez def. (NU) Eric Sock 6-4, 6-3
5. (NU) Tom Blackwell def. (ETSU) Roger Ordeig 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
6. (NU) Andrew Dzulynsky VS. (ETSU) Ricardo Pabon (No Finish)
Order of Finish 3, 4, 2, 1, 5,