Huskers Drop Tight Match to Cowboys
Lincoln, Neb. - The Nebraska men's tennis team finished its opening weekend at home with a 4-3 setback to visiting Oklahoma State Sunday at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
The Huskers opened the day by dropping the doubles point before splittling six singles matches with the Cowboys. Two matches came down to the third sets, as NU's Andre Stenger fell in the third set to OSU's Chris Haworth 4-6, 6-3, 7-5, and Marc Herrmann lost in the third set to OSU's Rifat Biktyakov 3-6, 6-4, 6-4. The next loss came from Andrew Dzulnsky to OSU's Oleksiy Arovin 6-1, 7-6.
"It's a tough loss being up 3-1 and with major chances to close out a victory; especially at No. 2 singles where Andre was serving for the match, and that would have cinched a victory," Nebraska Coach Kerry McDermott said. "We are a young team, and It was great to see our team put themselves into a position to win. We just did not finish strong. Next week will be even tougher, and I expect this team to let go of this loss and learn from it. Hopefully we can contiue to battle hard and give the effort we have seen this weekend throughout the year."
The Huskers return to the Nebraska Tennis Center next weekend for two more matches against top-50 foes. Nebraska takes on No. 50 Drake on Friday, Feb. 8 at 6 p.m., before finishing off the challenging weekend against No. 32 VCU Sunday, Feb. 10, at 10 a.m.
Nebraska vs. Oklahoma State
Nebraska Tennis Center
Sunday, Feb. 3, 2013
1. (OSU) Matt Campbell/ Rifat Biktyakov vs. (NU) Andre Stenger/ Sebastian Florczyk 5-7 (no finish)
2. (OSU) Chris Haworth/ Denys Plume def. (NU) Dusty Boyer/ Bradford Zitsch 8-2
3. (OSU) Oleksiy Arovin/ Brady Bohrnstedt def. (NU) Brandon Videtich/ Marc Herrmann 8-5
1. (OSU) Rifat Biktyakov def. (NU) Marc Herrmann 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. (OSU) Chris Haworth def. (NU) Andre Stenger 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
3. (NU) Dusty Boyer def. (OSU) Denys Plume 6-4, 6-3
4. (NU) Eric Sock def. (OSU) Matt Campbell 6-4, 7-5
5. (NU) Tom Blackwell def. (OSU) Brady Bohrnstedt 6-3, 6-3
6. (OSU) Oleksiy Arovin def. (NU) Andre Dzulnsky 6-1, 7-5