Huskers Power Past No. 60 Georgia State
Bristol, Tenn.- The Nebraska men's tennis team upset No. 60 Georgia State in its first match of the day, winning 4-3 on Saturday.
The Huskers improved their record to 4-3, with their third straight win. It will be a quick turnaround, as the team prepares to face ETSU this afternoon.
Nebraska struggled with doubles, giving up two matches to lose the doubles point. Dusty Boyer and Bradford Zitsch managed a lone doubles victory defeating Andrew Zedde and Sofiane Chevallier 8-1.
It was a narrow loss at the No. 1 spot, when Marc Herrmann and Andre Stenger fell 8-6 to GSU's Thomas Cook and Robert Schulze.
The Huskers faced tough competition and close matches in singles play, but were able to finish strong, capturing four victories to secure the win. The first finish was at the No. 1 spot where Andre Stenger faced #75 Victor Valente. Stenger was defeated by Valente 6-1, 6-2. The first win belonged to Marc Herrmann as he took down the Panthers' Thomas Cook 6-1, 6-3.
Next came the teams only other loss, when Eric Sock was defeated by GSU's Robert Schulze. At this point the outcome was tough to predict as the next three matches all went into the third set. Dusty Boyer lost the first set to the Panthers Lucas Santa Ana 7-6, but came back in the second set winning 6-4. Boyer did not give up in the third set winning 7-5. Tom Blackwell did not ruin his perfect record, improving it to 7-0 with the defeat of GSU's Andrew Zedde 6-7, 6-3, 6-3. The match was tied 3-3 as Sebastian Florczyk went into his third set against the Panthers Sofiane Chevallier. Florczyk handled the pressure well capturing the win 6-7, 7-5, 6-4.
"Very good team match after losing th doubles point and coming back from down 3-1 in the team score to win a very competitive match", Coach Kerry McDermott said. "I give credit to my singles players who fought adversity the whole day, but stayed mentally strong and did not give in. Sebastian Florczyk did a great job of clinching the deciding singles match. Georgia State is well coached, and we had a little luck on our side today."
The Huskers face ETSU at 3 p.m.. Results will be posted to Huskers.com.
Nebraska (4) vs No. 60 Georgia State (3)
Saturday, Feb. 16, 2013
1. (GSU) Thomas Cook/ Robert Schulze def. (NU) Andre Stenger/ Marc Herrmann 8-6
2. (GSU) Victor Valente/ Lucas Santa Ana def. (NU) Brandon Videtich/ Scott Elsass 8-4
3. (NU) Dusty Boyer/ Bradford Zitsch def. (GSU) Andrew Zedde/ Sofiane Chevallier def. 8-1
Order of finish 3, 2, 1
1. (GSU) #75 Victor Valente def. (NU) Andre Stenger 6-1, 6-2
2. (NU) Marc Herrmann def. (GSU) Thomas Cook 6-1, 6-3
3. (NU) Dusty Boyer def. Lucas Santa Ana 6-7, 6-4, 7-5
4. (GSU) Robert Schulze def. (NU) Eric Sock 6-4, 6-2
5. (NU) Tom Blackwell def. (GSU) Andrew Zedde 6-7, 6-3, 6-3
6. (NU) Sebastian Florczyk def. (GSU) Sofiane Chevallier 6-7, 7-5, 6-4
Order of Finish 1, 2, 4, 3, 5, 6