Los Angeles, Calif. - The No. 60-ranked Nebraska men’s tennis team (1-2, 0-0 Big Ten) fell to No. 53 Texas Tech (2-0, 0-0 Big 12) 4-0 on Saturday in their ITA Kick-off Weekend match. The Huskers secured the doubles point then fell in four singles to decide the match. NU will participate in Sunday’s consolation match against No. 66 Wisconsin at 10 a.m. followed by the championship match between No. 2 UCLA and No. 53 Texas Tech at 1 p.m.
The Huskers won the singles point in only two matches to take the lead at 1-0. At No. 1 doubles, NU's Brandon Videtich and Bradford Zitsch ousted Texas Tech's No. 33-ranked Hugo Dojas and Maxime Hinnisdaels 6-5 (7-1) while fellow Huskers Marc Herrmann and Beau Treyz toppled the Red Raiders' Johann Willems and Felipe Soares 6-3. The final doubles match went unfinished after the point was locked down.
Heading into singles on a 1-0 lead, Nebraska fell in four quick singles matches to end the match in defeat. At the No. 1 position, Texas Tech's No. 101-ranked Soares outpaced NU's Dusty Boyer 6-2, 6-0 while fellow Raider Jolan Cailleau swept Nebraska's Zitsch 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 6. TTU's Francisco Zambon scorched the Big Red's Treyz 6-1, 6-0 at the No. 5 position while at the No. 2 spot Texas Tech's No. 65-ranked Dojas narrowly edged out Nebraska's Marc Herrmann 6-5 (7-3), 6-4.
"The good news about the match was that we played great doubles on all three courts," Head Coach Kerry McDermott said. "The bad news was our singles struggled. Bradford (Zitsch) and Brandon (Videtich) upset the No. 33 team in the country. Marc (Herrmann) and Beau (Treyz) played very well at the No. 2 spot. At No. 3 doubles Dusty (Boyer) and Andrew (Dzulynsky) were dead even in a tiebbreaker when we clinched the point. We were very disappointed in half our singles lineup. We had three matches that were not competitive enough to challenge Texas Tech. We have to get ready quickly, and get ready for our match tommorrow."
The remaining matches went unfinished once the match was decided. Sunday's results will be available on Huskers.com at the conclusion of the consolation match.
No. 60 Nebraska - 1
No. 53 Texas Tech - 4
Los Angeles, Calif.
1. No. 101 Felipe Soares (TTU) def. Dusty Boyer (NU) 6-2, 6-0
2. No. 65 Hugo Dojas (TTU) def. Marc Herrmann (NU) 6-5 (7-3), 6-4
3. Maxime Hinnisdaels (TTU) vs. Andrew Dzulynsky (NU) DNF
4. Johann Willems (TTU) vs. Tom Blackwell (NU) DNF
5. Francisco Zambon (TTU) def. Beau Treyz (NU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Jolan Cailleau (TTU) def. Bradford Zitsch (NU) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish (1, 6, 5, 2)
1. Brandon Videtich/Bradford Zitsch (NU) def. No. 33 Hugo Dojas/Maxime Hinnisdaels (TTU) 6-5 (7-1)
2. Marc Herrmann/Beau Treyz (NU) def. Johann Willems/Felipe Soares (TTU) 6-3
3. Carlos DiLaura/Francisco Zambon (TTU) vs. Dusty Boyer/Andrew Dzulynsky (NU) DNF
Order of finish (2, 1)