Denver - The Nebraska men's tennis doubles team won all four of its doubles matches and added four more singles victories on its first day of the DU Invitational Friday.
The doubles teams were matched against New Mexico, with Nebraska's pair of Andre Stenger and Eric Sock defeating Jadon Phillips and Conor Berg, 9-7. NU's Brandon Videtich and Scott Elsass defeated Samir Iftikhar and Mads Hegelund, 9-7, while the Husker duo of Marc Herrmann and Sebastian Florczyk knocked off the Lobos' Mitch McDaniels and Riaan DuToit, 8-6.
Nebraska's final doubles victory came from Tom Blackwell and Bradford Zitch, who teamed to beat James Hignett and Simon Hegelund 8-6.
"I thought we played extremely well. I was impressed with the way we played on all four courts against the very good New Mexico team," Nebraska Coach Kerry McDermott said. "Our guys did a good job staying positive throughout the whole match. Even when it was close, they did a good job of holding their composure. Today we played to win."
In addition to NU's success on the doubles courts, the Huskers won four of seven singles matches against the hosts from Denver.
Stenger pulled away from DU's Jens Vorkefeld 6-7, 6-3, 6-0. Florczyk added a victory of his own with a 1-6, 6-2, 6-0 win over Denver's Frederick Bjorne. Zitsch also notched a singles win with NU's a 6-3, 6-4 sweep over the Pioneers' Preben Bjorne, 6-3, 6-4. Fellow Husker freshman Dusty Boyer produced a 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 victory over Denver's Alex Clinkenbeard.
"I felt like Stenger, Boyer, and Florczyk stepped it up when they had to," McDermott said. "They showed their teammates how to play your own game and not let anything else bother you."
Hermann dropped a 7-5, 6-1 decision to DU's Max Krammer, while Sock fell 6-1, 7-5 to Fabio Biasion. Blackwell lost a hard-fought, 6-4, 5-7, 0-6 battle to Denver's Luke Manley.
In Nebraska's eighth singles match of the day, freshman Gagan Jain from Littleton, Colo., suffered an 8-4 setback to Evan Corona-Sanders from New Mexico.
The Huskers face off against Denver in doubles and Air Force in singles action on Saturday.
Day 1 Results - Friday, Sept. 21
Nebraska vs. New Mexico (Doubles, 4-0)
- Andre Stenger/Eric Sock def. Phillips/Berg 9-7
- Brandon Videtich/Scott Elsass def. Iftikhar/Hegelund 9-7
- Marc Herrmann/Sebastian Florczyk def. McDaniels/DuToit 8-6
- Tom Blackwell/Bradford Zitsch def. Hignett/Hegelund 8-6
Nebraska vs. Denver (Singles, 4-3)
- Andre Stenger, NU def. Jens Vorkefeld, DU 6-7, 6-3, 6-0
- Max Krammer, DU def. Marc Herrmann, NU 7-5, 6-1
- Fabio Biasion, DU def. Eric Sock, NU 6-1, 7-5
- Dusty Boyer, NU def. Alex Clinkenbeard, DU 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
- Sebastian Florczyk, NU def. Frederick Bjorne, DU 1-6, 6-2, 6-0
- Bradford Zitsch, NU def. Preben Bjorne, DU 6-3, 6-4
Nebraska vs. New Mexico (Singles, 0-1)
- Evan Corona-Sanders, UNM def. Gagan Jain, NU 8-4