Huskers Too Hot for Boilermakers
Lincoln, Neb. - The No. 13 Nebraska women's tennis team (17-3, 6-0 Big Ten) defeated No. 19 Purdue (12-3, 4-2 Big Ten) on Friday with a score of 6-1 at the Nebraska Tennis Center. The Huskers and Boilermakers have met three times in history including Friday's match, with Nebraska now leading the series 2-1. Nebraska dominated doubles before moving into singles to seal the victory.
In doubles play, Nebraska struck first at the No. 2 position where Janine Weinreich and Stefanie Weinstein toppled Purdue's Lynda Xepoleas and Daniela Vidal 8-2. The Boilermakers quickly regained ground at the No. 3 spot where Gisella Pere and Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum defeated Nebraska's Maggy Lehmicke and Izabella Zgierska 8-5. The doubles point was decided at the No. 1 position in a nail-biter that resulted in a 8-5 victory for Nebraska's No. 11 Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova over Purdue’s No. 39 Krisztina Kapitany and Mara Schmidt to make the score 1-0.
Nebraska quickly pushed the lead to 2-0 in singles when No. 13 Mary Weatherholt knocked off Purdue's Lynda Xepoleas 6-2, 6-0 at the No. 1 position before fellow Husker Maggy Lehmicke defeated Boilermaker Krisztina Kapitany 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 5 spot to bump the margin to 3-0.
The Huskers sealed the team victory at the No. 2 position where Patricia Veresova edged out Purdue's Mara Schmidt 6-4, 6-3 making the team score 4-0. The match at the No. 4 position finished early resulting in a victory for Purdue's Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum over Nebraska's Janine Weinreich who retired in the second set at 7-5, 3-3 giving the Boilermakers a point at 4-1.
In the two remaining matches, Nebraska's Stefanie Weinstein narrowly defeated Purdue's Daniela Vidal 6-2, 7-6 (7-2) at the No. 3 position before the dual ended at the No. 6 spot where Nebraska's Maike Zeppernick defeated Purdue's Gisella Pere 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (10-5) to finalize the match score at 6-1 for the Huskers.
The Huskers host No. 32 Indiana on Sunday, April 7 at 11 a.m. before they head to the state of Michigan next weekend to face Michigan on Saturday, April 13 at 11 a.m. in Ann Arbor, Mich. before playing Michigan State on Sunday, April 14 at noon in East Lansing, Mich.
No. 13 Nebraska - 6
No. 19 Purdue - 1
1. No. 13 Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Lynda Xepoleas (PU) 6-2, 6-0.
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Mara Schmidt (PU) 6-4, 6-3.
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Daniela Vidal (PU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-2).
4. Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum (PU) def. Janine Weinreich (NU) 7-5, 3-3, retirement.
5. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Krisztina Kapitany (PU) 6-1, 6-2.
6. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Gisella Pere (PU) 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (10-5).
Order of finish (1, 5, 2, 4, 3, 6)
1. No. 11 Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NU) def. No. 39 Krisztina Kapitany/Mara Schmidt (PU) 8-5.
2. Stefanie Weinstein/Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Lynda Xepoleas/Daniela Vidal (PU) 8-2.
3. Gisella Pere/Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum (PU) def. Maggy Lehmicke/Izabella Zgierska (NU) 8-5.
Order of finish (2, 3, 1)