Lincoln - Tom Blackwell improved to 4-0 on the spring, but the Nebraska men's tennis team suffered a narrow 4-3 loss to No. 41 Drake on Friday at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
The Huskers kicked off the night by sweeping their way to the doubles point with three consecutive victories.
Andre Stenger and Marc Herrmann teamed up for an 8-6 win over Drake's James McKie and Anis Ghorbel at the No. 1 spot. Dusty Boyer and Bradford Zitsch clinched the doubles point with an 8-5 victory over the Bulldogs' Robin Goodman and Ben Mullis at No. 3, before Brandon Videtich and Scott Elsass completed the sweep with a 9-7 win over Jean Erasmus and Alen Salibasic.
Nebraska had its chances in singles play, but the Huskers were unable to close out several close matches.
Blackwell remained perfect on the spring with a hard-fought come-from-behind win over Drake's Mullis, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 at No. 6. Boyer added NU's final singles win with a 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 victory over Salibasic at No. 4.
NU's first loss of the night came with Sebastian Florczyk's loss at No. 5 to Erasmus (6-1, 6-2). Stenger then dropped a 6-4, 6-4 decision to Ghorbel at No. 1, before Herrmann lost a hard fought match to Drake's James McKie, 6-4, 6-4 at No. 2.
Drake's Robin Goodman sealed the match for Drake with his 1-6, 6-3, 6-2 win over the Huskers' Eric Sock at No. 3.
The Huskers will face VCU and Creighton Sunday in Lincoln. NU opens the day against No. 30 VCU at 10 a.m., before closing the day against Creighton at 6 p.m.
Look for live stats under the multimedia tab on Huskers.com for the latest results.
#41 Drake 4, Nebraska 3
Feb. 8, 2013
Nebraska Tennis Center
1. (NU) Andre Stenger/Marc Herrmann def. (DU) James McKie/Anis Ghorbel 8-6
2. (NU) Brandon Videtich/Scott Elsass def. (DU) Jean Erasmus/Alen Salibasic 9-7
3. (NU) Dusty Boyer/Bradford Zitsch def. (DU) Robin Goodman/Ben Mullis 8-5
Order of Finish 1, 3, 2
1. (DU) Anis Ghorbel def. (NU) Andre Stenger 4-6, 4-6
2. (DU) James McKie def. (NU) Marc Herrmann 6-4, 6-3
3. (DU) Robin Goodman def. (NU) Eric Sock 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. (NU) Dusty Boyer def. (DU) Alen Salibasic 7-5, 3-6, 7-6
5. (DU) Jean Erasmus def. (NU) Sebastian Florczyk 6-1, 6-2
6. (NU) Tom Blackwell def. (DU) Ben Mullis 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish 5, 1, 2, 4, 6, 3