Long Beach, Calif. - The No. 9 Nebraska sand volleyball team fell 4-1 to No. 2 Long Beach State on Tuesday afternoon. After a day off following the USAV pair's tournament over the weekend at the Chula Vista Olympic Training Center, the Huskers took to the sand for showdown with another top-five team.
Nebraska picked up a win from the No. 2 pair of Amber Rolfzen and Hayley Thramer as they beat Chelsea Cabrajac and Bre Mackie in three sets (12-21, 21-16, 16-14).
Alexa Strange and Kelsey Robinson fell to Long Beach State's No. 1 duo of Caitlin Ledoux and Tara Roenicke 21-18, 21-18. At the No. 3 spot, Delainey Aigner-Swesey and Libby Fontanilla defeated Alicia Ostrander and Kelsey Fien 21-13, 21-14.
Cecilia Hall and Kadie Rolfzen fell 21-17, 21-13 to Lauren Minkel and Jocelyn Neely in the match-up at No. 4, while Morgan Broekhuis and Sheridan Zarda were defeated 21-15, 21-9 at the No. 5 spot by Tyler Jackson and Janisa Johnson.
The highlight of the day came when three-time Olympic gold medalist and Long Beach State alum Misty May-Treanor took to the sand to play with Meghan Haggerty at the No. 6 spot.
The Huskers will travel to Irvine, Calif., tomorrow for a pair of matches against Irvine Valley College and Loyola Marymount at 3 p.m. CT.
No. 2 Long Beach State 4, No. 9 Nebraska 1
1) Caitlin Ledoux/Tara Roenicke (LBSU) def. Alexa Strange/Kelsey Robinson (NEB) 21-18, 21-18
2) Amber Rolfzen/Hayley Thramer (NEB) def. Chelsea Cabrajac/Bre Mackie (LBSU) 12-21, 21-16, 16-14
3) Delainey Aigner-Swesey/Libby Fontanilla (LBSU) def. Alicia Ostrander/Kelsey Fien (NEB) 21-13, 21-14
4) Lauren Minkel/Jocelyn Neely (LBSU) def. Cecilia Hall/Kadie Rolfzen (NEB) 21-17, 21-13
5) Tyler Jackson/Janisa Johnson (LBSU) def. Morgan Broekhuis/Sheridan Zarda (NEB) 21-15, 21-9