Huskers Soar Past Jays
Lincoln, Neb. - The 17th-ranked Nebraska women's tennis team rolled past in-state rival Creighton on Tuesday afternoon, earning a 6-1 victory at the Nebraska Tennis Center. The Huskers (2-0, 0-0 Big Ten) used dominant play on the doubles court to kick-start their efforts before cruising past the Blue Jays (0-1, 0-0 MVC). The Jays' lone win of the day came on the No. 5 court, where Nebraska's competitor won the first set before retiring due to injury.
The Huskers and the Jays started the afternoon on the doubles courts, where Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova struck first for NU. The duo blazed past Creighton's Anna Kirshenbaum and Sam Anderson on the No.1 doubles court, notching an 8-1 victory. The No. 2 pairing of Janine Weinreich and Maike Zeppernick locked up the doubles point for Nebraska, earning an 8-3 victory over the Jays' Jennie Hartjes and Karlin Naslund. Maggy Lehmicke and Izabella Zgierska sealed the doubles sweep for the Big Red with 7-4 win at the No. 3 spot over Amanda Noonan and Analese Snyder.
Nebraska took its 1-0 lead to the singles courts, where it picked up three wins in quick succession to clinch the match victory. Zeppernick earned the first victory in No. 6 singles, defeating Creighton's Liz Vermilion by a score of 6-0, 6-0. Weinreich grabbed the next win at the No. 3 position, a 6-1, 6-1 defeat of Kirshenbaum. Lehmicke pushed NU's lead to 4-0, topping the Jays' Kirshenbaum at the No. 4 spot, 6-1, 6-0.
Weatherholt added a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Hartjes on the No. 1 singles court. Veresova wrapped up NU's dominant performance with her 6-0, 6-1 win in No. 2 singles, defeating Creighton's Snyder. Zgierska ground out a 7-5 win in the first set on the No. 5 courts before retiring from the match, giving Creighton's Noonan the victory.
Nebraska will be back in action this weekend as they play host to the ITA Kickoff Weekend. NU will face Tennessee on Saturday at 2 p.m., with the winner facing the victor in the Notre Dame/Georgia match on Sunday. All matches will be held at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
No. 17 Nebraska - 6
Creighton - 1
Nebraska Tennis Center
1. Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Jennie Hartjes (CU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Analyse Snyder (CU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Anna Kirshenbaum (CU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Sam Anderson (CU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Amanda Noonan (CU) def. Izabella Zgierska (NU) 5-7, ret.
6. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Liz Vermilion (CU) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish (6, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2)
1. Patricia Veresova/Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Anna Kirshenbaum/Sam Anderson (CU) 8-2
2. Janine Weinreich/Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Jennie Hartjes/Karlin Naslund (CU) 8-3
3. Maggy Lehmicke/Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Amanda Noonan/Analese Snyder (CU) 8-4
Order of finish (1, 2, 3)