Huskers Fly Past Eagles in Florida
Tallahassee, Fla. - The No. 60 Nebraska men's tennis team (1-0, 0-0 Big Ten) defeated the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles (0-2, 0-0 Atlantic Sun) on Sunday, 5-2. The Huskers secured the doubles point to begin the match and rounded out the victory with four singles wins.
The Huskers secured the doubles point early to take the lead over the Eagles, 1-0. At the No. 1 position, FGCU's Jordi Vives and Dean Tsamas ousted Nebraska's Brandon Videtich and Bradford Zitsch 6-4 while NU's Marc Herrmann and Beau Treyz toppled Florida Gulf Coast's Tianyu Bao and Lance Lvovsky 6-1 at the No. 2 spot. The point was snatched by the Big Red at the No. 3 position with Dusty Boyer and Andrew Dzulynsky routing the Eagles' Lucas Vaz and Gabriel Echeverry 6-3.
Moving into singles with the advantage, Nebraska landed their first win on the season with four singles victories. At the No. 2 position, NU's Herrmann defeated Florida Gulf Coast's Bao 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 while fellow Husker Dzulynsky rolled past FGCU's Tsamas 6-2, 6-4 at the No. 3 spot. Nebraska's Tom Blackwell bagged a No. 4 position win over the Eagles' Echeverry 6-2, 6-2 as Big Red teammate Vasileios Stavropoulos edged FGCU's Adrian Reid 6-2, 6-5 (5) at the No. 6.
The Huskers dropped two matches at singles with Florida Gulf Coast's No. 66-ranked Jordi Vives defeating NU's Dusty Boyer 4-6, 6-1, 6-3 while FGCU's Lucas Vaz outpaced Nebraska's Beau Treyz 1-6, 6-4, 6-5 (5). Despite the two dropped matches, the Cornhuskers secured an away win in Tallahassee by a score of 5-2.
"We as coaches felt really good about our win today over a very good team," Head Coach Kerry McDermott said. "We had a delay with our match time due to rain this morning and waited around a little more than we wanted to. We got a victory outdoors and we haven't played outdoors since the middle of October. The team started strong by winning the doubles point and getting off to a fast start in singles on most of the courts. We competed hard and stayed focus. These are things we will need to have tommorrow when we play Florida State."
The No. 60-ranked Huskers face No. 36-ranked Florida Monday at 9 a.m. CT before heading to Los Angeles next weekend Jan. 25-26 for the ITA Kick-off Weekend event hosted by UCLA where they play Texas Tech on Saturday at 9 a.m.
No. 60 Nebraska - 5
Florida Gulf Coast - 2
1. No. 66 Jordi Vives (FGCU) def. Dusty Boyer (NU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
2. Marc Herrmann (NU) def. Tianyu Bao (FGCU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
3. Andrew Dzulynsky (NU) def. Dean Tsamas (FGCU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Tom Blackwell (NU) def. Gabriel Echeverry (FGCU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Lucas Vaz (FGCU) def. Beau Treyz (NU) 1-6, 6-4, 5-6 (5)
6. Vasileios Stavropoulos (NU) def. Adrian Reid (FGCU) 6-2, 6-5 (5)
1. Jordi Vives/Dean Tsamas (FGCU) def. Brandon Videtich/Bradford Zitsch (NU) 6-4
2. Marc Herrmann/Beau Treyz (NU) def. Tianyu Bao/Lance Lvovsky (FGCU) 6-1
3. Andrew Dzulynsky/Dusty Boyer (NU) def. Lucas Vaz/Gabriel Echeverry (FGCU) 6-3