Louisville, Ky. - The No. 74 Nebraska men's tennis dropped a 6-1 decision to No. 34 Louisville in the Huskers' season opener on Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
Tom Blackwell battled to NU's lone singles victory on the day with a 6-3, 2-6, 10-7 victory over Louisville's Michael Lippens at No. 5.
Mark Herrmann and Dusty Boyer narrowly fell in hard-fought matches at the top two singles spots. Herrmann lost a 1-6, 6-3, 4-6 decision to Louisville's Albert Wagner at No. 1, while Boyer fell 6-2, 3-6, 5-7 to Austin Siegel at No. 2.
Andre Stenger, Eric Sock and Sebastian Florczyk fell in straight sets to their Cardinals opponents, while the Huskers also dropped all three doubles matches to provide the Cardinals with their final point.
Nebraska will take more than two weeks off from competition before opening its 2013 home schedule against Illinois State on Feb. 1 at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
#34 Louisville 6, #74 Nebraska 1
Jan 13, 2013 at Bass-Rudd Tennis Center
1. Albert Wagner (LOU) def. Mark Herrmann (NEB) 6-1, 3-6, 6-4
2. Austin Siegel (LOU) def. Dusty Boyer (NEB) 2-6, 6-3, 7-5
3. Chris Simich (LOU) def. Andre Stenger (NEB) 6-2, 7-5
4. Luis Elizondo (LOU) def. Eric Sock (NEB) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
5. Tom Blackwell (NEB) def. Michael Lippens (LOU) 6-3, 2-6, 10-7
6. Alex Gornet (LOU) def. Sebastian Florczyk (NEB) 6-3, 6-2
1. #31 Albert Wagner/Alex Gornet (LOU) def. Andre Stenger/Brandon Videtich (NEB) 8-2
2. Luis Elizondo/Jeffrey Brown (LOU) def. Bradford Zitsch/Dusty Boyer (NEB) 9-7
3. Michael Lippens/Van Damrongsri (LOU-MT) def. Sebastian Florczyk/Mark Herrmann (NEB) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,3,4,1,2,5)