Huskers Win 4-1 In Los Angeles
Los Angeles, Calif. - The Nebraska men's tennis team (2-2, 0-0 Big Ten) defeated fellow Big Ten opponenets Wisconsin (0-2, 0-0 Big Ten) in a non-conference ITA Kick-off consolation match 4-1 on Sunday. The Huskers earned the doubles point before dropping one singles match en route to the 4-1 victory.
Starting in doubles, Wisconsin's Michael Sinha and Elliott Sprecher ousted Nebraska's Dusty Boyer and Andrew Dzulynsky 6-4 at the No. 3 position while fellow Huskers Marc Herrmann and Beau Treyz toppled the Badgers' Jakhongir Jalalov and Oskar Wikberg 6-3 at the No.2 spot. The Big Red grabbed the doubles point at the No. 1 where Brandon Videtich and Bradford Zitsch outpaced UW's Alexander Kokorev and Petr Satral 6-3.
Going into singles on a 1-0 lead, NU extended the lead at the No. 1 spot when Boyer defeated Wisconsin's Satral 6-2, 6-3. The Badgers regained some ground at the No. 2 position where Wikberg knocked off Nebraska's Herrmann 6-4, 6-4 to make the score 2-1 in favor of the Huskers. The Scarlet and Cream's Treyz edged out UW's Sinha 6-5 (4), 6-3 at the No. 5 spot before Nebraska's Tom Blackwell secured the team victory at the No. 4 position with a slim victory over Wisconsin's Jalalov 6-5 (5), 6-5 (5). The remaining two matches went unfinished at the No. 3 and 6 spots.
“It was a good, solid team win today,” Head Coach Kerry McDermott said. “We are really proud of this team coming back from yesterday’s match and showing the coaches their character and willingness to play hard today. It was an overall team effort and once again we played solid doubles and it set the tone for the match. Singles was a very solid effort on each and every court and we need to continue to see this in all of our matches.”
Next up for the Huskers is a home match in Lincoln, Neb. when they host Denver on Saturday, Feb. 8 at 1 p.m. at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
No. 60 Nebraska - 4
No. 66 Wisconsin - 1
Los Angeles, Calif.
1. Brandon Videtich/Bradford Zitsch (NU) def. Alexander Kokorev/Petr Satral (UW) 6-3
2. Marc Herrmann/Beau Treyz (NU) def. Jakhongir Jalalov/Oskar Wikberg (UW) 6-3
3. Michael Sinha/Elliott Sprecher (UW) def. Dusty Boyer/Andrew Dzulynsky (NU) 6-4
Order of finish (3, 2, 1)
1. Dusty Boyer (NU) def. Petr Satral (UW) 6-2, 6-3
2. Oskar Wikberg (UW) def. Marc Herrmann (NU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Andrew Dzulynsky (NU) vs. Alexander Kokorev (UW) DNF
4. Tom Blackwell (NU) def. Jakhongir Jalalov (UW) 6-5 (5), 6-5 (5)
5. Beau Treyz (NU) def. Michael Sinha (UW) 6-5 (4), 6-3
6. Charlie Shin (NU) vs. Elliott Sprecher (UW) DNF
Order of finish (1, 2, 5, 4)