Lincoln, Neb.- The No. 59 Nebraska mens tennis (6-3) teamed captured their fifth straight win Monday after knocking off Wichita State. They completed a 4-1 win over the Shockers. The Huskers will play next on Saturday, March 2 against Denver in Denver, Colo. at 12:00 p.m.
"Wichita Sate just beat a very good Denver team, who is ranked in the top 50, and I am very proud of our play today", said Coach Kerry McDermott.
The Huskers were off to a good start in doubles play, leading on all three courts throughout the match. The Huskers came out with victories at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots, with the No. 2 spot no finish.
The Huskers faired well in singles play coming out with 3 wins. The first was Dusty Boyers victory over Tomislav Gregurovic 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 3 spot. This win improved his record to 7-2 for spring. The next win was at the No. 4 spot, as Eric Sock knocked off WSU's Guillermo Nicol 6-4, 6-1. "In singles we got the 1st sets in 5 out of 6 singles, and that really provided some room for our kids to stay aggressive and dominate in singles," said Coach Kerry McDermott. The victory that clinched the match was at the No. 2 spot. Marc Herrmann won a hard fought match against WSU's Llija Cuic 7-6 (3), 6-4.
"Good team victory from start to finish today", said Coach Kerry McDermott. "We played about as good as I have seen in doubles today, and it set the tone for the match."
Nebraska 4 vs Wichita 1
Monday, Feb, 25 2:30 p.m.
Nebraska Tennis Center
1. (NU) Andre Stenger/ Marc Herrmann def. (WSU) Tomislav Gregurovic / Llija Cuic 8-5
2. (NU) Dusty boyer/ Bradford Zitsch vs. (WSU) Matheus Pereira/ Tin Ostojic 6-5 DNF
3.(NU) Brandon Videtich/ Scott Elsass def. (WSU) Guillermo Nicol/ Alvarro Gutierrez 8-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2(DNF)
1. (NU) Andre Stenger vs. (WSU) Matheus Pereira 6-3, 5-7 DNF
2. (NU) Marc Herrmann def. (WSU) Llija Cuic 7-6 (3), 6-4
3. (NU) Dusty Boyer def. (WSU) Tomislav Gregurovic 6-3, 6-3
4. (NU) Eric Sock def. (WSU) Guillermo Nicol 6-4, 6-1
5. (NU) Tom Blackwell vs. (WSU) Erick Reyes 6-4, 4-4 DNF
6. (WSU) Tin Ostojic def. (NU) Sebastian Florczyk 6-1, 6-7 (4)
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 4, 2, 5(DNF) 1(DNF)