Huskers Fall to Purdue
West Lafayette, Ind. - The Nebraska women's tennis team (8-12, 0-7 Big Ten) dropped a 6-1 decision to No. 37 Purdue (9-7, 5-2 Big Ten) on the road Sunday.
In doubles, Purdue's Krisztina Kapitany and Natalia Davila toppled Nebraska's Maike Zeppernick and Izabella Zgierska 8-3 at the No. 2 court while fellow Boilermakers Nicole Robinson and Claudia Escribens earned the doubles point at the No. 3 over the Huskers' Hannah Sulz and Lauren Wagner 8-1.
In singles at the No. 6 court, PU's Escribens swept NU's Wagner 6-0, 6-0 while fellow Boilermaker Robinson scorched the Huskers' Mary Hanna 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 3 spot. The match was sealed at the No. 5 position when Purdue's Andjela Djokovic dominated Nebraska's Sulz 6-1, 6-1.
The remaining matches played through where Purdue's Bernard-Feigenbaum outlasted Nebraska's Zgierska 6-4, 6-2 at the No. 2 while fellow Boilermaker Kapitany outpaced the Huskers' Zeppernick 6-3, 6-1 at the No. 5 spot. NU earned their only point of the match at the No. 1 court where Maggy Lehmicke edged past PU's Mara Schmidt 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7).
Next up for the Huskers is another road trip to face Northwestern on Saturday, April 12 at 11 a.m. in Evanston, Ill. before moving on to Urbana, Ill. to take on Illinois on Sunday, April 13 at noon.
Nebraska - 1
No. 37 Purdue - 6
West Lafayette, Ind.
1. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Mara Schmidt (PU) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
2. T. Bernard-Feigenbaum (PU) def. Izabella Zgierska (NU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Nicole Robinson (PU) def. Mary Hanna (NU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Krisztina Kapitany (PU) def. Maike Zeppernick (NU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Andjela Djokovic (PU) def. Hannah Sulz (NU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Claudia Escribens (PU) def. Lauren Wagner (NU) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish (6, 3, 5, 2, 4, 1)
1. Mara Schmidt/T. Bernard-Feigenbaum (PU) vs. Maggy Lehmicke/Mary Hanna (NU) DNF
2. Krisztina Kapitany/Natalia Davila (PU) def. Maike Zeppernick/Izabella Zgierska (NU) 8-4
3. Claudia Escribens/Nicole Robinson (PU) def. Hannah Sulz/Lauren Wagner (NU) 8-1
Order of finish (3, 2)