Nebraska Sweeps The Wildcats At Home
Lincoln, Neb. - The 10th-ranked Nebraska women's tennis team (12-1, 1-0 Big Ten) defeated No. 32 Kansas State (4-4, 0-0 Big 12) Saturday at the Nebraska Tennis Center, 7-0. The Huskers were able to manage the doubles point despite some tough games to head into singles where they topped off the match with some much-needed victories. This is the 45th time that the teams have met and Nebraska leads the series 33-12 following the triumph.
Nebraska struck first in doubles with a victory at the No. 2 position where Janine Weinreich and Stefanie Weinstein defeated Wildcats Carmen Borau-Ramos and Ivana Kubickova 8-2. The Huskers claimed the doubles point at the No. 1 position where No. 13 Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova ousted Kansas State's No. 31 Petra Niedermayerova and Karla Bonacic 8-3 to make the score 1-0. The remaining match at the No. 3 spot quickly wrapped up with Nebraska's Maggy Lehmicke and Izabella Zgierska toppled Wildcats Amina St. Hill and Gema Bolado-Yusta 8-1.
The Huskers headed into singles with the 1-0 lead and extended that cushion to 2-0 with a victory at the No. 5 spot where Janine Weinreich defeated Kansas State's Amina St. Hill 6-1, 6-1. Nebraska's Patricia Veresova toppled the Wildcats' No. 94 Karla Bonacic 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 2 position to push the lead to 3-0.
Nebraska sealed their victory at the No. 3 position when Stefanie Weinstein defeated Kansas State's Ivana Kubickova 7-5, 6-3 with the overall score at 4-0. With the match decided, Nebraska snagged their next point at the No. 4 spot when Maggy Lehmicke knocked off the Wildcats' Ana Gomez Aleman 6-3, 6-2 to extend the tally to 5-0.
At the No. 6 position, Nebraska's Izabella Zgierska edged out the Wildcats' Carmen Borau Ramos 6-3, 6-3 to push the margin to 6-0 before the match came to a close at the No. 1 position where the Huskers' No. 16 Mary Weatherholt emerged victorious over Kansas State's No. 17 Petra Niedermayerova 4-6, 6-3, 6-2.
The Huskers head to Iowa City on Tuesday March 5 to face their second Big Ten opponent the Iowa Hawkeyes at 3:30 p.m.
No. 10 Nebraska - 7
No. 32 Kansas State - 0
1. No. 16 Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. No. 17 Petra Niedermayerova (KSU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2.
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Karla Bonacic (KSU) 6-2, 6-2.
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Ivana Kubickova (KSU) 7-5, 6-3.
4. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU) 6-3, 6-2.
5. Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Amina St. Hill (KSU) 6-1, 6-1.
6. Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU) 6-3, 6-3.
Order of finish(5, 2, 3, 4, 6, 1)
1. No. 13 Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NU) def. No. 31 Petra Niedermayerova/Karla Bonacic (KSU) 8-3.
2. Stefanie Weinstein/Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Carmen Borau-Ramos/Ivana Kubickova (KSU) 8-2.
3. Maggy Lehmicke/Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Amina St. Hill/Gema Bolado-Yusta (KSU) 8-1.
Order of finish (2, 1, 3)