Women's Basketball Fills First Osborne Citizenship Team
Every member of the 2013-14 Nebraska women's basketball team earned a spot on the first-ever Tom Osborne Citizenship Team, announced Monday as part of the HERO Leadership Award Breakfast at Memorial Stadium.
The team, which included 2014 Nebraska Women's Basketball Student-Athlete HERO Leadership Award recipient Sadie Murren, was created to recognize the service to the community by Husker student-athletes and the contributions and ideals of legendary Husker Football Coach and Athletic Director Tom Osborne.
During his tenure as athletic director from 2007 until 2013, Osborne played a significant role in expanding Nebraska’s Life Skills department while encouraging total person development for Husker student-athletes.
To earn a spot on the Osborne Citizenship Team, student-athletes had to complete a minimum of six community service/leadership projects in the academic calendar year and remain in good academic standing.
In 2013-14, 215 student athletes, spanning all 24 of Nebraska’s varsity programs participated in 1,300 campus or community service projects including weekly mentoring, school outreach, hospital and hospice visits, awareness events, special needs programming, holiday outreach, statewide motivational assemblies and more.
Each of the recipients will receive a Tom Osborne Citizenship Team medallion.
Nebraska Women's Basketball 2014 Tom Osborne Citizenship Team Members
- Jordan Hooper, Sr., F, Alliance, Neb.
- Emily Cady, Jr., F, Seward, Neb.
- Brandi Jeffery, Jr., G, Vacherie, La.
- Tear'a Laudermill, Jr., G, Riverside, Calif.
- Hailie Sample, Jr., F, Flower Mound, Texas
- Katie Simon, Jr., F, Roseville, Calif.
- Sadie Murren, So., G, Colon, Neb.
- Rachel Theriot, So., G, Middleburg Heights, Ohio
- Allie Havers, Fr., C, Paw Paw, Mich.
- Esther Ramacieri, Fr., G, Repentigny, Quebec, Canada
- Hannah Tvrdy, Fr., G, Seward, Neb.