Bloomington, Ind. - No. 11 Mary Weatherholt cruised to a win at No. 1 singles, but the No. 16 Nebraska women's tennis team dropped a 4-1 decision to No. 15 Northwestern in the Big Ten Tournament semifinals on Saturday afternoon.
Weatherholt, the Big Ten Women's Tennis Athlete of the Year for the second straight season, remained perfect in singles action against conference foes with a 6-1, 6-1 win over No. 123 Veronica Corning.
Weatherholt's win tied the match at 1, after Northwestern claimed the doubles point with victories at the top two spots. The nation's No. 14 duo of Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton upset Nebraska's top tandem of Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova, 8-6. Weatherholt and Veresova entered the match ranked No. 3 nationally.
Corning and Alicia Barnett had locked up Northwestern's first doubles win by defeating Nebraska's Stefanie Weinstein and Janine Weinreich 8-2 at No. 2 doubles to secure the point.
After Weatherholt's win in singles play, Linda Abu Mushrefova claimed a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Husker Maggy Lehmicke at No. 4 singles. Barnett added a 6-4, 6-3 win over Weinreich at No. 5, before Hamilton defeated Husker Izabella Zgierska, 6-3-6-2, at No. 6 singles to take the match.
Northwestern advances to Sunday's Big Ten title match to take on top-seeded Michigan. The championship match is set to begin at 11 a.m. (CT) at the IU Varsity Tennis Court. The No. 6 Wolverines cruised to a 4-0 victory over No. 28 Purdue in Saturday's first semifinal.
Nebraska closes regular-season play with a 22-5 overall record that included a 10-1 Big Ten mark. The Huskers, who earned a share of the Big Ten regular-season title, will await word on their seeding and destination for the 2013 NCAA Tournament.
No. 15 Northwestern 4, No. 16 Nebraska 1
Big Ten Tournament Semifinal
Saturday, April 27, 2013
IU Varsity Tennis Court
1. #11 Mary Weatherholt (NEB), def. #123 Veronica Corning (NU), 6-1, 6-1
2. Patricia Veresova (NEB) vs. #51 Kate Turvy (NU), 6-3, 3-6, 1-2 (unfinished)
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NEB) vs. Belind Niu (NU), 6-2, 1-4 (unfinished)
4. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. Maggy Lehmicke (NEB), 6-3, 6-1
5. Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Janine Weinreich (NEB), 6-4, 6-3
6. Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Izabella Zgierska (NEB), 6-3, 6-2
1. #14 Linda Abu Mushrefova/Nida Hamilton (NU) def. #3 Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NEB), 8-67
2. Veronica Corning/Alicia Barnett (NU) def. #82 Stefanie Weinstein/Janine Weinreich (NEB), 8-2
3. Maggy Lehmicke/Izabella Zgierska (NEB) vs. Belinda Niu/Kate Turvy (NU), 3-7, unfinished
Order of Finish
Doubles (2,1); Singles (1,4,5,6)