Lincoln, Neb. - The Nebraska Huskers women's tennis team (10-1, 1-0 Big Ten) defeated the UALR Trojans (9-3, 0-1 SBC) Friday at the Nebraska Tennis Center, 7-0. This is just the third time that the teams have met, with Nebraska leading the series 2-1 following the victory on Friday. The Huskers quickly snatched the doubles point to catch a jump-start on the Trojans into singles play, where Nebraska continued their display of excellence.
The Huskers wasted no time grabbing the lead as they began the match with doubles. At the No. 2 position Nebraska's Stefanie Weinstein and Janine Weinreich toppled the Trojans' Veroniqe Luksich and Michaela McShane 8-1 before Huskers duo No. 18 Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova swept the Trojans' Yana Kakovkina and Viktoriya Plyuta 8-0 at the No. 1 position.
With the doubles point decided and Nebraska ahead 1-0 the No. 3 match finished last where Huskers Maggy Lehmicke and Izabella Zgierska defeated UALR's Dane Vorster and Kamilla Galieva 8-5.
Heading into singles on a 1-0 lead, the Huskers quickly pushed their advantage to 2-0. At the No. 6 position Nebraska's Maike Zeppernick ousted UALR's Michaela McShane 6-1, 6-0. Nebraska quickly extended their lead with a victory at the No. 2 position where Patricia Veresova defeated the Trojans' Yana Kakovkina 6-1, 6-0.
The match was decided at the No. 1 position where Nebraska's No. 16 Mary Weatherholt swept UALR's Veronique Luksich 6-1, 6-0 making the score 4-0. Finishing the remaining matches with the victor already named, Nebraska's Izabella Zgierska defeated Dane Vorster 6-0, 6-1 at the No. 5 position before the Huskers' Maggy Lehmicke toppled Kamilla Galieva 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 3 spot.
The match finished at the No. 4 position with a victory for Nebraska's Janine Weinreich over UALR's Viktoriya Plyuta 6-2, 6-2.
The Huskers face Wyoming on Sunday, Feb. 24 at 10 a.m. before welcoming Kansas State to Lincoln on Saturday, March 2 at 1 p.m.
No. 15 Nebraska - 7
UALR - 0
1. No. 16 Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Veronique Luksich (UALR) 6-1, 6-0.
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Yana Kakovkina (UALR) 6-1, 6-0.
3. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Kamilla Galieva (UALR) 6-2, 6-2.
4. Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Viktoriya Plyuta (UALR) 6-2, 6-2.
5. Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Dane Vorster (UALR) 6-0, 6-1.
6. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Michaela McShane (UALR) 6-1, 6-0.
Order of finish (6, 2, 1, 5, 3, 4)
1. No. 18 Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Yana Kakovkina/Viktoriya Plyuta (UALR) 8-0.
2. Stefanie Weinstein/Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Veroniqe Luksich/Michaela McShane (UALR) 8-1.
3. Maggy Lehmicke/Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Dané Vorster/Kamilla Galieva (UALR) 8-5.
Order of finish (2, 1, 3)