Lincoln, Neb.- The No. 58 mens tennis team (10-8) beat the Iowa Hawkeyes 6-1 at the 17th and Vine St. courts. This was their second conference win. Their first was on March 31, against Penn State.
Nebraska began play with wins at the 2 and 3 doubles. The Huskers pair of Bradford Zitsch and Dusty Boyer beat the Hawkeyes Mike Swank and Joey White 8-4. Next NU's Scott Elsass and Brandon Videtich defeated Iowa's Matt Hagan and Chase Tomlins 8-4. At No 1 doubles Andre Stenger and Eric Sock fell to Jonas Dierckx and Juan Estenssoro 8-6.
The Huskers were 5-1 for Singles wins. The first win was Tom Blackwells at No. 4 singles. He defeated the Hawkeyes Matt Hagan 6-3, 6-3. Next at No. 5 singles Sebastian Florczyk knocked off Dominic Patrick 6-2, 6-3. Dusty Boyer defeated Garret Dunn in 3 sets. Boyer lost the first set 3-6 before winning in the second 6-2. Boyer clinched the match in the third set 6-2. Marc Herrmann fell short at No. 3 singles, losing in a tie breaker to Juan Estenssoro. The final score for the match was 4-6, 6-4, 1-0. The last finish was at No. 6 singles, where Ford Zitsch defeated Andres Estenssoro 2-6, 6-1, 6-5 (4).
"Solid team effort and as coaches we are proud of the way our guys performed today", said Coach Kerry McDermott. "We played a complete match starting with winning the doubles point and finishing strong in the singles. It was a lot tougher score than 6-1 and we were fortunate to win the majority of the 3 set matches. Hopefully we can keep up some momentum, and carry this into this weekends matches against Purdue and Indiana."
Nebraska will hit the road to face No. 60 Purdue and Indiana on Saturday and Sunday. Saturdays match will take place at Purdue at 2 p.m.The last match of the weekend will be against Indiana at Indiana. It will begin Sunday, April 7th at 12 p.m. Live stats will be available for Wednesdays home match, and results for Saturday and Sunday can be found on Huskers.com.
Nebraska 6 def Iowa 1
17th and Vine st Courts
1. (Iowa) Dierckx/ Estenssoro def. (NU) Stenger/ Sock 8-6
2. (NU) Zitsch/ Boyer def. (Iowa) Swank/ White 8-4
3. (NU) Elsass/ Videtich def. (Iowa) Hagan/ Tomlins 8-4
Order of Finish 2,3,1
1. (NU) Andre Stenger def. (Iowa) Jonas Dierckx 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
2. (NU) Dusty Boyer def. (Iowa) Garret Dunn 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. (Iowa) Juan Estenssoro def. (NU) Marc Herrmann 4-6, 6-4, 1-0
4. (NU) Tom Blackwell def. (Iowa) Matt Hagan 6-3, 6-3
5. (NU) Sebastian Florczyk def. (Iowa) Dominic Patrick 6-2, 6-3
6. (NU) Bradford Zitsch def. (Iowa) Andres Estenssoro 2-6, 6-1, 7-6
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 2, 1, 3, 6