No. 12 Huskers Topple No. 30 Penn State
State College, Pa. - The No. 12 Nebraska women's tennis team defeated No. 30 Penn State (12-3, 2-3 Big Ten) with a score of 5-1 to make their conference record 5-0 and 16-3 overall. This is only the second time the two teams have ever met and Nebraska leads the series 2-0. The Huskers sealed the doubles point before capturing singles quickly after.
In doubles, Penn State got the first victory at the No. 3 spot where Marie-Frederique Bedard and Jacqueline Zuhse toppled Nebraska's Maggy Lehmicke and Izabella Zgierska 8-4 before the Huskers regained ground at the No. 2 position where Janine Weinreich and Stefanie Weinstein defeated Penn State's Carmen Sandor and Devan McCluskey 8-5. The point was decided at the No. 1 spot where Nebraska's No. 11 Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova knocked off Penn State's No. 75 Petra Januskova and Chelsea Utting 8-4 to make the score 1-0 going into singles.
With the lead, Nebraska pushed the score to 2-0 at the No. 2 singles where Patricia Veresova defeated the Nittany Lions' Chelsea Utting 6-4, 6-0. Penn State cut the margin in half with their only point from a victory by Marie-Frederique Bedard beating Izabella Zgierska 6-4, 6-3 at the No. 6 position to make the score 2-1.
Nebraska moved on to win the match in the next two matches. At the No. 3 spot Nebraska's Stefanie Weinstein edged out Penn State's Jacqueline Zuhse 6-1, 7-6 followed by fellow Husker Maggy Lehmicke narrowly defeating Penn State's Carmen Sandor 4-6, 7-5, 6-4 at the No. 5 position sealing the victory at 4-1.
With two matches remaining, only one of them finished. The No. 1 position played through which resulted in a victory for Nebraska's No. 13 Mary Weatherholt over Penn State's No. 57 Petra Januskova 6-4, 6-4. The last match went unfinished between the Huskers' Janine Weinreich and the Nittany Lions' Devan McCluskey who led 6-2, 4-6, 3-2 at the No. 4 spot when the match was called.
The Huskers return home to host Purdue on Friday, April 5 at 3 p.m. before welcoming Indiana on Sunday, April 7 at noon. Both matches are scheduled to be played at the Vine Street Courts unless inclemental weather forces the matches to be played at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
No. 12 Nebraska - 5
No. 30 Penn State - 1
State College, Pa.
1. No. 13 Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. No. 57 Petra Januskova (PSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Chelsea Utting (PSU) 6-4, 6-0
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Jacqueline Zuhse (PSU) 6-1, 7-6
4. Devan McCluskey (PSU) vs Janine Weinreich (NU) 6-2, 4-6, 3-2 DNF
5. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Carmen Sandor (PSU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
6. Marie-Frederique Bedard (PSU) def. Izabella Zgierska (NU) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish (2, 6, 3, 5, 1)
1. No. 11 Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NU) def. No. 75 Petra Januskova/Chelsea Utting (PSU) 8-4
2. Janine Weinreich/Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Carmen Sandor/Devan McCluskey (PSU) 8-5
3. Marie-Frederique Bedard/Jacqueline Zuhse (PSU) def. Maggy Lehmicke/Izabella Zgierska (NU) 8-4
Order of finish (3, 2, 1)