Huskers Defeat the Hawkeyes
Lincoln, Neb.- The No. 58 mens tennis team (10-8) beat the Iowa Hawkeyes 6-1 at the 17th and Vine St. courts. This was their second conference win. Their first was on March 31, against Penn State.
Nebraska began play with wins at the 2 and 3 doubles. The Huskers pair of Bradford Zitsch and Dusty Boyer beat the Hawkeyes Mike Swank and Joey White 8-4. Next NU's Scott Elsass and Brandon Videtich defeated Iowa's Matt Hagan and Chase Tomlins 8-4. At No 1 doubles Andre Stenger and Eric Sock fell to Jonas Dierckx and Juan Estenssoro 8-6.
The Huskers were 5-1 for Singles wins. The first win was Tom Blackwells at No. 4 singles. He defeated the Hawkeyes Matt Hagan 6-3, 6-3. Next at No. 5 singles Sebastian Florczyk knocked off Dominic Patrick 6-2, 6-3. Dusty Boyer defeated Garret Dunn in 3 sets. Boyer lost the first set 3-6 before winning in the second 6-2. Boyer clinched the match in the third set 6-2. Marc Herrmann fell short at No. 3 singles, losing in a tie breaker to Juan Estenssoro. The final score for the match was 4-6, 6-4, 1-0. The last finish was at No. 6 singles, where Ford Zitsch defeated Andres Estenssoro 2-6, 6-1, 6-5 (4).
"Solid team effort and as coaches we are proud of the way our guys performed today", said Coach Kerry McDermott. "We played a complete match starting with winning the doubles point and finishing strong in the singles. It was a lot tougher score than 6-1 and we were fortunate to win the majority of the 3 set matches. Hopefully we can keep up some momentum, and carry this into this weekends matches against Purdue and Indiana."
Nebraska 6 def Iowa 1
17th and Vine st Courts
1. (Iowa) Dierckx/ Estenssoro def. (NU) Stenger/ Sock 8-6
2. (NU) Zitsch/ Boyer def. (Iowa) Swank/ White 8-4
3. (NU) Elsass/ Videtich def. (Iowa) Hagan/ Tomlins 8-4
Order of Finish 2,3,1
1. (NU) Andre Stenger def. (Iowa) Jonas Dierckx 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
2. (NU) Dusty Boyer def. (Iowa) Garret Dunn 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. (Iowa) Juan Estenssoro def. (NU) Marc Herrmann 4-6, 6-4, 1-0
4. (NU) Tom Blackwell def. (Iowa) Matt Hagan 6-3, 6-3
5. (NU) Sebastian Florczyk def. (Iowa) Dominic Patrick 6-2, 6-3
6. (NU) Bradford Zitsch def. (Iowa) Andres Estenssoro 2-6, 6-1, 7-6
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 2, 1, 3, 6