Iowa City, Iowa - No. 10 Nebraska Huskers women's tennis team (12-1, 2-0 Big Ten) defeated their second Big Ten opponents Tuesday when they faced Iowa (5-4, 0-1 Big Ten) with a score of 7-0 on the road. The Huskers grabbed the doubles point quickly before moving on to sweep their opponents in singles.
Only two doubles matches were played through to save time and the Huskers were able to snatch both. Nebraska's Izabella Zgierska and Maggy Lehmicke edged past Iowa's Ellen Silver and Annette Dohanics 8-4 at the No. 3 position before fellow Huskers Janine Weinreich and Stefanie Weinstein knocked out Hawkeyes Shelby Telcott and Caitlin Hindmarsh 8-3 at the No. 2 spot.
Since the doubles point was sealed by the Huskers, the match at No. 1 doubles between Nebraska's No. 13 Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova and Iowa's No. 42 Morven McCulloch and Ruth Seaborne was scored at 5-7 but did not finish.
Nebraska went strong into singles on a 1-0 lead but faced tough competition in some of the singles matches. First to finish was the No. 3 position where Huskers' Stefanie Weinstein toppled Iowa's Morven McCulloch 6-3, 6-2 before teammate Janine Weinreich defeated the Hawkeyes' Annette Dohanics 6-2, 6-2. Holding a solid 3-0 advantage, Nebraska sealed the victory at the No. 6 position when Izabella Zgierska knocked off Iowa's Ellen Silver 6-2, 6-1.
The Huskers closed out the sweep with victories at the three remaining matches. At the No. 2 position Patricia Veresova defeated Iowa's Shelby Talcott 6-1, 4-6, 10-7 before Maggy Lehmicke narrowly defeated the Hawkeyes'Caitlin Hindmarsh 6-4, 4-6, 10-8 at the No. 4 spot. The last match to finish was No. 1 singles where Nebraska's Mary Weatherholt maintained her undefeated singles season with a victory over Iowa's Ruth Seaborne 7-5, 5-7, 10-5.
Nebraska hosts two more Big Ten foes this weekend welcoming Illinois and Northwestern. The match against Illinois is Friday, March 8 at 5 p.m. followed by the match against Northwestern on Sunday, March 10 at noon, both at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
No. 10 Nebraska - 7
Iowa - 0
Iowa City, Iowa
1. No. 16 Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) 7-5, 5-7, 10-5
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) 6-1, 4-6, 10-7
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) 6-3, 6-2
4. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Caitlin Hindmarsh (IOWA) 6-4, 4-6, 10-8
5. Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) 6-2, 6-2
6. Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Ellen Silver (IOWA) 6-2, 6-1.
Order of finish (3, 5, 6, 2, 4, 1)
1. No. 42 Morven McCulloch/Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) vs No. 13 Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NU) 7-5 DNF
2. Stefanie Weinstein/Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Shelby Talcott/Caitlin Hindmarsh (IOWA) 8-3
3. Izabella Zgierska/Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Ellen Silver/Annette Dohanics (IOWA) 8-4
Order of finish (3, 2)