Huskers Travel to French Lick for Big Ten Tourney
When: Friday, April 26 - Sunday, April 28
Where: Pete Dye Golf Course, French Lick, Ind.
Course Par: 72
Course Yardage: 7,152
Format: 72 holes
- Friday: 36 holes starting at 8 a.m. CT (Tee Times on Holes 1 and 10)
- Saturday: 18 holes starting at 9 a.m. CT (Tee Times on Holes 1 and 10)
- Sunday: 18 holes starting at 8 a.m. CT (Tee Times on Holes 1 and 10)
Live Golfstat Scoring: http://www.golfstatresults.com/public/index.cfm?tournament_id=4240
Championship Central: http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-golf/spec-rel/041113aaa.html
Daily Results and Recap: www.huskers.com
NU Media Relations Contact: Connor Stange (402-560-3758)
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Matt Record
2. Manuel Lavin
3. Jordan Reinertson
4. Kolton Lapa
5. Neil Dufford
The Nebraska men’s golf team will compete at the Big Ten Championships for the second time in school history, Friday through Sunday, at the Pete Dye Golf Course in French Lick, Ind.
The par-72, 7,152-yard configuration will host the 72-hole tournament, which starts Friday at 8 a.m. (CT) on Holes 1 and 10. The second round will tee off at 1 p.m. The Huskers will be paired with Michigan for the first and second rounds, and will begin at 8:40 a.m., and 1:40 p.m., on the 10th hole.
Saturday’s third round starts at 9 a.m., and Sunday’s final round is set for 8 a.m. The pairings for those two rounds will be determined after Friday’s 36 holes. Live Golfstat.com scoring and the championship central page are available at the links provided above.
The Huskers will use the same lineup as they have in the last three tournaments, where NU notched a pair of top-10 finishes. Juniors Matt Record and Manuel Lavin will represent the 1 and 2 positions for Nebraska.
Senior Jordan Reinertson will be the No. 3 player in the lineup. Last season he led the Huskers at the Big Ten Championships, tying for 28th at the Pete Dye Golf Course.
Freshman Kolton Lapa, who has competed in every tournament this season, will be the No. 4 player in the NU lineup. Senior Neil Dufford will make his second conference championship start as the No. 5 position.
Last Time Out: Huskers Notch Top-Five Finish in Iowa
Nebraska finished fifth at the Hawkeye-Great River Entertainment Invitational after shooting 300 in the final round on Sunday, April 14.
The Huskers completed the 54-hole tournament with an 887 total at Finkbine Golf Course, a par-72, 7,239-yard layout. On Saturday, NU opened with 290 before a second-round 297. Kansas captured the team crown, amassing 867 strokes over three rounds.
Matt Record led the Huskers with a ninth-place finish. The junior from Scottsdale, Ariz., posted a 2-over-par 74 in the final round. Record carded 71 and 73 on Saturday for a three-round total of 218.
Manuel Lavin also finished in the top-20, notching a tie-for-18th. Lavin, a junior, completed his best finish of the season with a final-round 74 on Sunday. He added 75 and 73 in the first two rounds for a 222 total.
Jordan Reinertson fired a 4-over-par 76 over the final 18 holes. The Gibbon, Neb., native paced his way to a 72 and 75 on Saturday for a 54-hole total of 223. Reinertson tied for 21st in Iowa City.
Kolton Lapa tied for 37th with a 228 total. The freshman shot 4-over-par 76 on Sunday to go along with a 72 and 80 in the opening rounds. Neil Dufford added a tie-for-58th place finish. He carded 79 in the final round for a 233 total.
Off the Tee:
1. The Huskers are making their second all-time appearance in the Big Ten Championships. Last season Nebraska finished 12th with 1,251 strokes over four rounds.
2. Nebraska has competed in five different conferences since 1935, capturing two Big Six crowns. The last conference title for NU came in 1937 and the last individual champion was Joe Gifford at the 1952 Big Seven Championships. The Huskers’ most recent top-five finish came in 1999 when they finished second at the Big 12 Championships.
3. Freshman Kolton Lapa earned Big Ten Golfer-of-the-Week honors on Feb. 27 after tying for fifth at the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate. The weekly accolade was Lapa’s second of the season as he also earned it on Oct. 24, 2012.
4. The Huskers have finished in the top 10 in eight of 10 stroke play tournaments, which includes the team crown at the Fairway Club Invitational. Nebraska finished fourth at the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational, seventh at the Herb Wimberly Intercollegiate, tied for seventh at the D.A. Weibring Intercollegiate, eighth at the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate, 10th at the Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate, sixth at the Denver Desert Shootout and fifth at the Hawkeye-Great River Entertainment Invitational.
5. Lapa leads the Huskers with a 74.14 stroke average. He is the only player on the team to compete in every tournament this season (29 rounds). Lapa notched three consecutive top-10 finishes from October to February before that streak was snapped at the Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate.
6. The Huskers have a 296.69 stroke average through 10 stroke play events, often playing their best golf in the second round. Nebraska’s second-round scoring average is 294.70. The Huskers are averaging 300.80 strokes in the first round and 294.89 in the third round.
7. The Huskers added three golfers during the offseason. Sophomore Cameron Palmer joined Nebraska and has competed in two tournaments this spring. The other two golfers, Justin Jennings and Ian Hagener, are set to join the team in 2013-14.
8. Nathan Wong will redshirt in his first season with Nebraska. Wong played high school golf at Hamilton in Chandler, Ariz., and joined the Huskers with his twin brother Aaron.
9. Lapa set the school record for freshman 54-hole scoring mark during the fall season at the Herb Wimberly Intercollegiate. He shot 2-under-par 211 for the tournament and tied for seventh. Lapa earned Big Ten Golfer-of-the-Week honors for his performance.
10. Under Head Coach Bill Spangler, who is in his 12th season, the Nebraska men’s golf team has won 10 tournament titles. Spangler has also guided the Huskers to 30 top-three tournament finishes and six individual titles.
11. The Nebraska men’s golf program has four NCAA Championship appearances along with seven NCAA Regional starts. The last three seasons, the Huskers have sent one individual to the NCAA Regionals. Last season Scott Willman tied for 40th at the Norman Regional. In 2011 Andrew Wyatt tied for 41st at the Colorado Regional and in 2010, Brandon Crick tied for eighth at the West Regional.