Freshman Sydney Miramontez scored her second goal of the year at Utah State in a 2-2 tie
Photo by Scott Bruhn/Nebraska Communications

Nebraska Earns Road Draw at Utah State

By NU Athletic Communications

Logan, Utah - The Nebraska soccer team scored twice in a two-minute span to take a 2-0 first-half lead against Utah State, a 2012 NCAA Tournament qualifier, but were unable to hold on to victory, earning a 2-2 road draw on Monday, Sept. 2. 

The Huskers (2-1-1) broke the stalemate in the first half when freshman Sydney Miramontez sent the ball into the upper-left corner of the net from 15 yards out for her second goal of the year. The goal gave NU the 1-0 lead at the 35:28 mark.

NU quickly responded with another goal just two minutes later in the 37th minute as senior Jordan Jackson netted her first goal of the year and 27th of her career, tying her for 10th all-time at Nebraska. Hannah Dittmar earned the assist on Jackson's tally that gave Nebraska a 2-0 lead heading into the break.

The Big Red put eight of its nine shots on goal in the first half, including three on net in the final five minutes. The Husker defense held the Aggies to just four shots with Emma Stevens stopping both attempts on goal.

Utah State (3-0-1) came out energized in the second half and answered with a goal at the 55:21 mark. Lauren Roundy fought off a Husker defender and slid the ball past Stevens just inside the right post to cut the NU lead to 2-1.

In the 62nd minute, NU's keeper Stevens made a nice save off a shot from Mari Miyashiro to force a USU corner chance. The Aggies would keep possession off the ensuing corner when Lexie Morgan gathered a through ball from Sara Lorscheider and put it in to right side of the open net to knot the match, 2-2.

Both teams would have chances throughout the second half, but neither side could capitalize on its respective opportunities as the match moved into an extra session. Each team recorded 10 shot attempts with four shots on goal in a tightly-contested second half.

In the overtime period, the Huskers outshot the Aggies by a 4-0 margin but were unable to end the match as it went into double OT. NU's only shot on net came on a Dittmar attempt that was saved off the face of Aggie keeper Jeannie Woller.

The final ten minutes of action started with an early chance from Jackson, which was followed up by a rebound chance from Miramontez that sailed high. NU and USU each recorded three shots and one on net in the second overtime, as both squads picked up a well-earned draw after 110 minutes of action.

Nebraska outshot Utah State by a 26-17 margin in the match and doubled-up the Aggies 14-7 in shots on goal. Jackson finished the match with nine shot attempts to lead NU, including four on net. Junior Mayme Conroy tallied five shots with three on net, while Miramontez recorded four shot attempts, three coming on goal.

Utah State came into the contest having pitched three-straight shutouts en route to an early 3-0 record. The Miramontez goal snapped the Aggies' streak of 305:28 without allowing a goal.

The Huskers will be back in action when they travel to Fayetteville, Ark. to battle the Arkansas Razborbacks on Sunday, Sept. 8 at 2 p.m.


More News Sponsor - First National Bank


Tickets Sponsor - StubHub