Evanston, Ill,- The No. 33 Nebraska mens tennis team fell to the No. 18 Northwestern Wildcats 5-2 this Saturday, March 9. This was their first match against a Big Ten opponent, and puts their record at 7-4.
The Huskers notched the first point of the match, sweeping the Wildcats in doubles. No. 3 doubles took the first win of the day, with the pair of Scott Elsass and Brandon Videtich narrowly defeating the Widcats Spencer Wolf and Fedor Baev 8-5. The match at No. 1 doubles also finished with an 8-5 Nebraska victory as Andre Stenger and Marc Herrmann knocked off Sidarth Balaji and Raleigh Smith in a close match. The No. 2 doubles position came down to a tiebreaker. Dusty Boyer and Bradford Zitsch came out of the tiebreaker victorious, with an 8-7 (5) win over Northwesterns team of Alex Pasareanu and Mihir Kumar.
The Huskers momentum did not carry from doubles to singles. Eric Sock pulled out the lone singles victory for Nebraska. At No. 5 he defeated the Wildcats Alex Pasareanu in a close match 5-7, 6-4, 6-3.
"Disappointing loss today after winning the doubles point", Coach Kerry McDermott. "We didn't take advantage of being up 1-0 after doubles today. Northwestern won 3 out of the 4 three set matches in singles, and played better in crucial situations today. My team needs to get more first sets in singles and keep our competition mentally donw in order to win these type of matches. We just need to learn from this and move forward. The season is still long and every match from here on out will be a dog fight guranteed."
#18 Northwestern 5, #33 Nebraska 2
March 9, 2013
1. Andre Stenger / Marc Herrmann (NEB) def. Sidarth Balaji / Raleigh Smith 8-5
2. Bradford Zitsch / Dusty Boyer (NEB) def. Alex Pasareanu / Mihir Kumar 8-7 (5)
3. Scott Elsass / Brandon Videtich (NEB) def. Spencer Wolf / Fedor Baev 8-5
Order of finish: 3, 1*, 2
1. No. 120 Spencer Wolf (NU) def. Andre Stenger (NEB) - 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (5)
2. Raleigh Smith (NU) def. Marc Herrmann (NEB) - 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
3. Sidarth Balaji (NU) def. Dusty Boyer (NEB) - 7-6 (6), 6-7 (5), 6-1
4. Mihir Kumar (NU) def. Tom Blackwell (NEB) - 6-4, 6-4
5. Eric Sock (NEB) def. Alex Pasareanu (NU) - 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
6. Chris Jackman (NU) def. Sebastian Florczyk (NEB) - 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 4, 2, 1*, 3, 5