Huskers Head to Iowa Over Weekend
When: Saturday, April 13 - Sunday, April 14
Where: Finkbine Golf Course, Iowa City, Iowa
Course Par: 72
Course Yardage: 7,239
Format: 54 holes
- Saturday: 36 holes starting at 9 a.m. CT (Shotgun)
- Sunday: 18 holes starting at 9 a.m. CT (Shotgun)
Live Golfstat Scoring: http://www.golfstatresults.com/public/index.cfm?tournament_id=3980
Daily Results and Recap: www.huskers.com
NU Media Relations Contact: Connor Stange (402-560-3758)
Email Address: email@example.com
The Nebraska men’s golf team will join 11 schools from the Midwest in competing at the Hawkeye-Great River Entertainment Invitational on Saturday and Sunday in Iowa City, Iowa.
The tournament will be played over 54 holes, with the first 36 set for a shotgun start on Monday at 9 a.m. The final 18 holes will be a shotgun start at 9 a.m., on Tuesday. Finkbine Golf Course, a par-72, 7,239-yard layout, will host the Hawkeye Invitational, which is in its 20th year.
Live scoring for the tournament will be available on Golfstat.com at the link provided above. Results and recap will be on Huskers.com following each day’s action.
Big Ten foes Wisconsin, Penn State, Iowa, Michigan State and Minnesota will join former Big 12 rivals Kansas and Iowa State to make up part of the 12-team field in Iowa City. Charlotte, Notre Dame, Miami (Ohio) and Washington State will also tee it up on Saturday and Sunday.
In its most recent outing, Nebraska finished 18th at the ASU Red Wolf Intercollegiate in Jonesboro, Ark. The result snapped a five-tournament streak of top-10 finishes for the Huskers in stroke play events. Junior Manuel Lavin led the Huskers with a tie for 39th at RidgePointe Country Club.
Following the Hawkeye Invitational, Nebraska will make its second all-time appearance in the Big Ten Championships, April 26-28, at the Pete Dye Course in French Lick, Ind. Last season the Huskers finished 12th. The NCAA Regionals are set for May 16-18 and the NCAA Championships are May 28-June 2 at the Capital City Club in Atlanta, Ga.
Last Time Out: Huskers Finish 18th in Arkansas
The Nebraska men’s golf team shot a final-round 303 to finish 18th at the ASU Red Wolf Intercollegiate on Tuesday, April 2.
The Huskers entered the day in 19th place following rounds of 316 and 301 on Monday. Nebraska compiled 920 strokes over 54 holes at RidgePointe Country Club, a par-71, 6,565-yard layout.
Manuel Lavin led NU for the first time this season with a tie for 39th. The junior from Aguascalientes, Mexico managed 15 pars and three bogeys en route to a 74 in Tuesday’s final round. Lavin added 75 and 76 on Monday for a three-round total of 12-over-par 225.
Freshman Kolton Lapa carded an 8-over-par 79 in the final round, which included one birdie, two bogeys, two double bogeys and a triple bogey. On Monday, Lapa produced 76 and 77 for a 232 total over 54 holes. He tied for 72nd.
Matt Record fired the lowest Husker score on Tuesday with a 1-over-par 72. The junior birdied the fourth hole and bogeyed Nos. 14 and 16 to tie for 84th. Record showed improvement each round, shooting 84 and 78 in the first and second rounds, respectively, for a 234 total.
Seniors Jordan Reinertson and Neil Dufford tied for 92nd and 102nd, respectively. Reinertson posted a 12-over-par 83 in the final round for a 236 total. Dufford added a 78 for the Huskers on Tuesday for a 242.
Off the Tee:
1. The Huskers are making their third all-time appearance in the Hawkeye Invitational. Last season Nebraska finished 10th at 889 strokes after tying for eighth at the rain shortened tournament in 2011.
2. Freshman Kolton Lapa earned Big Ten Golfer-of-the-Week honors on Feb. 27 after tying for fifth at the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate. The weekly accolade was Lapa’s second of the season as he also earned it on Oct. 24, 2012.
3. The Huskers have finished in the top 10 in seven of nine stroke play tournaments, which includes the team crown at the Fairway Club Invitational. Nebraska finished fourth at the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational, seventh at the Herb Wimberly Intercollegiate, tied for seventh at the D.A. Weibring Intercollegiate, eighth at the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate, 10th at the Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate and sixth at the Denver Desert Shootout.
4. Lapa leads the Huskers with a 73.92 stroke average. He is the only player on the team to compete in every tournament this season (26 rounds). Lapa notched three consecutive top-10 finishes from October to February before that streak was snapped at the Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate.
5. The Huskers have a 296.81 stroke average through nine stroke play events, often showing successive improvement in each round. Nebraska’s third-round scoring average is 294.25. The Huskers are averaging 301.44 in the first round and 294.44 in the second round.
6. The Huskers added three golfers during the offseason. Sophomore Cameron Palmer joined Nebraska and has competed in two tournaments this spring. The other two golfers, Justin Jennings and Ian Hagener, are set to join the team in 2013-14.
7. Nathan Wong will reshirt in his first season with Nebraska. Wong played high school golf at Hamilton in Chandler, Ariz., and joined the Huskers with his twin brother Aaron.
8. Lapa set the school record for freshman 54-hole scoring mark during the fall season at the Herb Wimberly Intercollegiate. He shot 2-under-par 211 for the tournament and tied for seventh. Lapa earned Big Ten Golfer-of-the-Week honors for his performance.
9. Under Head Coach Bill Spangler, who is in his 12th season, the Nebraska men’s golf team has won 10 tournament titles. Spangler has also guided the Huskers to 30 top-three tournament finishes and six individual titles.
10. The Nebraska men’s golf program has four NCAA Championship appearances along with seven NCAA Regional starts. The last three seasons, the Huskers have sent one individual to the NCAA Regionals. Last season Scott Willman tied for 40th at the Norman Regional. In 2011 Andrew Wyatt tied for 41st at the Colorado Regional and in 2010, Brandon Crick tied for eighth at the West Regional.