Lincoln - Eight members of the Nebraska men's tennis team claimed academic All-Big Ten honors when the conference office anounced its annual spring at-large awards on Wednesday, May 28.
Nebraska's eight award winners were headlined by sophomore Dusty Boyer. The Ham Lake, Minn., native earned his first academic All-Big Ten award, after claiming first-team All-Big Ten honors on the court earlier this spring. The communication studies major played at the No. 1 position in singles throughout the spring and tied for fifth in school history with 25 victories on the year.
Boyer led a group of six second-year Huskers to earn academic all-conference awards. Sophomore Scott Elsass from Eden Prairie, Minn., and a frequent doubles partner of Boyer's, earned his first academic All-Big Ten award as a finance major.
Marc Herrmann, a sophomore from Rohrbach, Germany who finished the season with 20 singles wins and 22 doubles victories while playing primarily out of the No. 2 spots in the Husker lineup, added his first academic All-Big Ten honor as a business administration major. Andrew Dzulynsky, a criminology and criminal justice major from Miramar, Fla., and Bradford Zitsch, an agronomy major from Columbia, Mo., both claimed the first academic All-Big Ten awards of their careers in their second seasons at NU.
Chris Schindler, a redshirt freshman from Hanau, Germany, was the sixth Husker in his second season in Lincoln to earn academic All-Big Ten honors, while majoring in business administration/economics.
Senior and Lincoln native Brandon Videtich completed his Husker career with his second consecutive academic All-Big Ten award. Videtich earned his undergraduate degree from Nebraska in May after majoring in business administration.
Sebastian Florczyk joined Videtich as a two-time academic All-Big Ten selection. Florczyk sat out his fourth season at Nebraska while battling an injury. The accounting/business administration major from Friedrichsdorf, Germany, hopes to return to the Husker lineup healthy in 2014-15.
Academic All-Big Ten
- Dusty Boyer, So., Ham Lake, Minn. (Communication Studies)
- Andrew Dzulynsky, So., Miramar, Fla. (Criminology & Criminal Justice)
- Scott Elsass, So., Eden Prairie, Minn. (Finance)
- Sebastian Florczyk, Sr., Friedrichsdorf, Germany (Accounting/Business Administration)
- Marc Herrmann, So., Rohrbach, Germany (Business Administration)
- Chris Schindler, RFr., Hanau, Germany (Business Administration/Economics)
- Brandon Videtich, Sr., Lincoln, Neb. (Business Administration)
- Bradford Zitsch, So., Columbia, Mo. (Agronomy)