The No. 8 Nebraska sand volleyball team opened the 2014 season against No. 2 Southern California and No. 3 Hawaii at Queens Beach at Waikiki in Honolulu, Hawaii on Thursday. Competing against some of the best teams in the nation, the Huskers dropped both matches, but will return for more action tomorrow in the Hawaii Invitational.
The Southern California Trojans topped Nebraska in a 5-0 decision in the first match on Thursday. NU then met Hawaii for a match, but fell 5-0.
Melanie Keil and Justine Wong-Orantes competed at the No. 1 spot for the Huskers, while Amber and Kadie Rolfzen were the second-ranked pair for NU.
Nebraska will open the Hawaii Invitational tomorrow against Hawaii, Arizona and Southern California.
No. 2 USC def. No. 8 Nebraska 5-0
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 3, 4, 1
1. Kirby Burnham/Sara Hughes (USC) def. Melanie Keil/Justine Wong-Orantes (NEB) 21-17, 21-15
2. Alexa Strange/Kelly Claes (USC) def. Amber Rolfzen/Kadie Rolfzen (NEB) 21-5, 21-10
3. Sam Hirschmann/Natasja Siljkovic (USC) def. Brenna Lyles/Alicia Ostrander (NEB) 21-14, 21-13
4. Eve Ettinger/Bria Russ (USC) def. Cecilia Hall/Alexa Ethridge (NEB) 21-12, 21-11
5. Nicolette Martin/Allie Wheeler (USC) def. Mary Pollmiller/Kelsey Fien (NEB) 21-9, 21-14
No. 3 Hawaii def. No. 8 Nebraska 5-0
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 4, 1, 3
1. Brittany Tiegs/Karissa Cook (UH) def. Melanie Keil/Justine Wong-Orantes (NEB) 21-7, 21-17
2. Katie Spieler/Nikki Taylor (UH) def. Amber Rolfzen/Kadie Rolfzen (NEB) 21-11, 20-7
3. Ali Longo/Ginger Long (UH) def. Cecilia Hall/Alexa Ethridge (NEB) 21-13, 21-15
4. Hannah Rooks/Karlee Riggs (UH) def. Brenna Lyles/Alicia Ostrander (NEB) 21-4, 21-18
5. London Chow/Tayler Higgins (UH) def. Mary Pollmiller/Kira Larson (NEB) 21-11, 21-18