Huskers Fall in First Round of Big Ten Tournament
Columbus, Ohio- The Huskers started strong capturing the doubles point with victories at the No. 1 and 2 positions. Dusty Boyer and Marc Herrmann knocked off Drew Lied and JP Mullane 8-3 on court two, while Andre Stenger and Bradford Zitsch defeated Harry Jadun and Gijs Linder 8-4 at No. 1.
Nebraska's first finish was Sebastian Florczyk's loss 6-4, 6-0 at No. 5 to Gijs Linder.
Nebraska had the advantage after winning the next two singles points. Marc Herrmann beat Denis Bogatov 6-3, 6-3 at No. 3, and Boyer topped Aaron Pfister at the No. 1 position 7-6, 6-2.
At this point Nebraska was ahead 3-1.
Nebraska gave up the next point at the No. 2 spot when Andre Stenger fell in a hard fought battle to Drew Lied, finishing 2-6, 7-6, 6-0.
Courts 4 and 6 were the deciding factors in the match. Tom Blackwell fell 7-5, 7-5. Andrew Dzulynsky lost a tight 6-3, 6-7, 6-3.
Mullane and Jadun would be the deciding factors for MSU on courts four and six. Both were able to take the first set, as Mullane topped Tom Blackwell 7-5 and Jadun defeated Andrew Dzulysky, 6-3. With a 7-5 victory in the final set over Blackwell, Mullane tied up the match at three, leaving the point at No. 6 as the deciding factor for the match. This gave the Spartans the last point they needed to take the match.
"Tough loss after winning the doubles point", Said Coach Kerry McDermott. "On the bright side our freshmen continue to show good results, and will set the tone for next year."
Michigan State 4 def. Nebraska 3
Big Ten Tournament First Round
1. (NU) Dusty Boyer def. Aaron Pfister (MSU) 7-6, 6-2
2. (MSU) Drew Lied def. (NU) Andre Stenger 6-2, 6-7, 0-6
3. (NU) Marc Herrmann def. (WSU) Denis Bogatov 6-3, 6-3
4. (MSU) John Patrick Mullane def. (NU) Tom Blackwell 7-5, 7-5
5. (MSU) Gijs Linders def. (NU) Sebastian Florczyk 6-4, 6-0
6. (MSU) Harry Jadun def. (NU) Andrew Dzyulynsky 6-3, 6-7, 6-3
Order of finish: 5, 3, 1, 2, 4, 6
1. (NU) Stenger/ Zitsch def. Jadun/ Linders 8-4
2. (NU) Boyer/ Herrmann def. Mullane Lied 8-3
3. (NU) Videtich/ Elsass vs. Pfister/ Bogatov 7-5