Huskers Defeat Hoosiers at Vine Street
Lincoln, Neb. - The No. 13 Nebraska women's tennis team (18-3, 7-0 Big Ten) defeated No. 32 Indiana (15-6, 4-3 Big Ten) by a score of 5-2 at the Vine Street Courts on a sunny Sunday in the capital city. The Huskers breezed past the Hoosiers in doubles, leading to a clean closing of the match in singles to grab the conference victory. It was the second match ever played between the two teams with Nebraska leading the series 2-0.
The Huskers grabbed the first victory of the day at the No. 1 doubles position where No. 11 Patricia Veresova and Mary Weatherholt defeated Indiana's Carolyn Chupa and Leslie Hureau 8-0. Nebraska sealed the doubles point at the No. 2 spot where Stefanie Weinstein and Janine Weinreich toppled the Hoosiers' Alecia Kauss and Shannon Murdy 8-6 to make the score 1-0. The final doubles match did not finish at the No. 3 position where Indiana's Sophie Garre and Katie Klyczek led Nebraska's Izabella Zgierska and Maggy Lehmicke 6-5.
Leading the match 1-0, Nebraska extended the lead to 2-0 at No. 3 singles where Stefanie Weinstein knocked off Indiana's Carolyn Chupa 6-4, 6-2 before fellow Husker Patricia Veresova defeated the Hoosiers' No. 112 Katie Klyczek 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 2 spot to push the margin to 3-0.
The match was sealed 4-0 at the No. 1 position where Nebraska's No. 13 Mary Weatherholt defeated Indiana's No. 111 Leslie Hureau 7-5, 6-0. At the No. 4 position, Nebraska's Janine Weinreich ousted Indiana's Alecia Kauss 7-6 (7-3), 6-4 to make the score 5-0.
Indiana got their first point at the No. 6 spot where Jithmie Jayawickrema defeated Nebraska's Maike Zeppernick 6-4, 6-4. The last match of the day resulted in a win for the Hoosiers with Sophie Garre narrowly edging out the Huskers' Maggy Lehmicke 7-5, 7-6 (7-4).
The Huskers head to the state of Michigan next weekend to face Michigan on Saturday, April 13 at 11 a.m. in Ann Arbor before heading to East Lansing to square off against Michigan State on Sunday, April 14 at noon.
No. 13 Nebraska - 5
No. 32 Indiana - 2
1. No. 13 Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. No. 111 Leslie Hureau (IU) 7-5, 6-0.
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. No. 112 Katie Klyczek (IU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Carolyn Chupa (IU) 6-4, 6-2.
4. Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Alecia Kauss (IU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4.
5. Sophie Garre (IU) def. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) 7-5, 7-6 (7-4).
6. Jithmie Jayawickrema (IU) def. Maike Zeppernick (NU) 6-4, 6-4.
Order of finish (3, 2, 1, 4, 6, 5)
1. No. 11 Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Carolyn Chupa/Leslie Hureau (IU) 8-0.
2. Stefanie Weinstein/Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Alecia Kauss/Shannon Murdy (IU) 8-6.
3. Izabella Zgierska/Maggy Lehmicke (NU) vs Sophie Garre/Katie Klyczek (IU) 5-6, DNF.
Order of finish (1, 2, 3)