Evanston, Ill. - The Nebraska women's tennis team (8-17, 0-11 Big Ten) had their 2014 spring campaign come to a close in their 4-0 loss to Illinois (14-9, 6-5 Big Ten) on Thursday in their first round match at the Big Ten Women's Tennis Tournament, hosted by the Northwestern Wildcats. The Huskers dropped the doubles point before being ousted by the Illini in three straight singles matches.
In doubles, Illinois' Misia Kedzierski and Louise Kwong rolled past Nebraska's Hannah Sulz and Lisa Andersson 8-2 at the No. 3 position while fellow Illini Melissa Kopinski and Allison Falkin ousted the Huskers' Maggy Lehmicke and Mary Hanna 8-4 at the No. 1 spot. The match at the No. 2 court went unfinished once the point was decided.
In singles, Illinois' Kopinski toppled Nebraska's Hanna 6-2, 6-4 at the No. 3 while fellow Illini Jerricka Boone defeated the Huskers' Andersson 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 5 spot. The match was decided at the No. 2 court where UI's Alexis Casati emerged victorious over NU's Izabella Zgierska 6-0, 6-1 to win the match 4-0.
The Huskers completed their season in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament after not finding a conference win this spring. Nebraska will begin its 2014-15 campaign during the fall semester.
Nebraska - 0
No. 37 Illinois - 4
1. Allison Falkin (UI) vs. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) DNF
2. Alexis Casati (UI) def. Izabella Zgierska (NU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Melissa Kopinski (UI) def. Mary Hanna (NU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Louise Kwong (UI) vs. Maike Zeppernick (NU) DNF
5. Jerricka Boone (UI) def. Lisa Andersson (NU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Misia Kedzierski (UI) vs. Hannah Sulz (NU) DNF
Order of finish (3, 5, 2)
1. Melissa Kopinski/Allison Falkin (UI) def. Maggy Lehmicke/Mary Hanna (NU) 8-4
2. Alexis Casati/Jerricka Boone (UI) vs. Maike Zeppernick/Izabella Zgierska (NU) DNF
3. Misia Kedzierski/Louise Kwong (UI) def. Lisa Andersson/Hannah Sulz (NU) 8-2
Order of finish (3, 1)