When: Monday, Sept. 23 - Tuesday, Sept. 24
Where: Colorado National Golf Club, Erie, Colo.
Course Par: 72
Course Yardage: 7,741
Format: 54 holes
- Monday: 36 holes starting at 9:15 a.m. CT (Shotgun)
- Tuesday: 18 holes starting at 9 a.m. CT (Shotgun)
Course Website: http://www.coloradonationalgolfclub.com/
Daily Results and Recap: www.huskers.com
1. Kolton Lapa (So.)
2. Ross Dickson (Jr.)
3. Justin Jennings (Fr.)
4. Calvin Freeman (Jr.)
5. Matt Record (Sr.)
The Nebraska men’s golf team heads to Erie, Colo. on Monday and Tuesday for its second event of the fall season at the Mark Simpson CU Invitational as the Huskers look to improve on a 10th-place finish last week.
Colorado National Golf Club, a par-72, 7,741-yard layout, hosts the 54-hole event. Monday is 36 holes of continuous play beginning at 9:15 a.m. CT with a shotgun start. Tuesday’s final round starts at 9 a.m. and is a staggered shotgun format, with the top four teams going off Hole No. 1 and the rest in a shotgun.
Six teams ranked in Golfstat’s Top 100 are the field this week, including No. 7 Air Force, No. 35 Colorado, No. 40 Denver and No. 49 Nevada. The rest of the competitors in the 15-team field are Campbell, Gonzaga, Houston Baptist, UMKC, Northern Colorado, Oregon State, Texas State, Utah, Washington State and Wyoming.
Two Huskers get their first start this week in an NU uniform as Justin Jennings will play as the No. 3 and Calvin Freeman is No. 4. Jennings, a freshman, hails from Amarillo, Texas, where he golfed at Canyon Randall High School. Freeman is a junior who transferred from Southeast Community College in Beatrice, Neb.
Kolton Lapa and Ross Dickson, who each tied for 22nd last week, represent the No. 1 and 2 positions, respectively. Lapa opened the tournament in Columbia, Mo. with a stellar 70 before back-to-back 76s to close out the event. Meanwhile, Dickson shot 74 in the first round before a second-round 76, which he responded to with even-par 72 in the final round.
Senior Matt Record rounds out the Husker lineup in the No. 5 position. Record posted 229 at the NCAA Columbia Regional Preview last week to tie for 48th.
Nebraska is paired with Gonzaga, UMKC and Texas State for the first round on Monday. Check Huskers.com for day-by-day recaps from the Mark Simpson CU Invitational.
Last Time Out:
Huskers Notch Top 10 in Season Opener
Nebraska opened its season with a 10th-place finish at the NCAA Columbia Regional Preview following the final round at The Club at Old Hawthorne on Tuesday, Sept. 17.
The Huskers fired 295 in the final round to go along with 292 and 304 on Monday, and a 54-hole total of 891. Tournament host Missouri won the team title with 852 strokes over three rounds. The Tigers’ Emilio Cuartero claimed individual medalist honors with 11-under-par 205 at the par-72, 7,221-yard configuration.
Junior Ross Dickson and sophomore Kolton Lapa each tied for 22nd at 222 to lead NU in Missouri. Dickson recorded the best Husker score of the day with even-par 72. Following a bogey on his opening hole, the par-4 14th, Dickson reeled off three consecutive birdies before adding an additional one on Hole No. 5.
Lapa started on Hole No. 13 and shot 43 on the back nine before surging to 3-under-par 33 on the front nine. His round was highlighted by birdies on Nos. 2, 3, 6 and 9. Lapa’s 76 matched his second-round score from Monday.
Nathan Wong managed a tie-for-33rd finish in his first appearance for the Huskers. On Tuesday, the redshirt freshman made three birdies and four bogeys en route to 1-over-par 73. Wong carded 75 and 76 in Monday’s first two rounds for a 224 total over 54 holes.
Nathan’s brother Aaron Wong posted 6-over-par 78 in the final round to finish tied for 42nd. Wong added scores of 72 and 77 on Monday.
Senior Matt Record fired his best score of the tournament in the final round with 2-over-par 74. Record used five birdies over the final 18 holes en route to a tie for 48th. On Monday, Record added 77 in the first round and 78 in the second round for a 229 total.
Off the Tee:
• The Huskers are making their first all-time appearance in the Mark Simpson Colorado Invitational, which is in its fourth year.
• Sophomore Kolton Lapa is making his 14th collegiate start after competing in all 12 tournaments as a freshman last season for the Huskers. Lapa, a Mesa, Ariz. native, led the team with a 74.27 stroke average over 33 rounds in 2012-13 and garnered three top-10 finishes. Last week Lapa opened the season with a tie-for-22nd place finish.
• Two Huskers are making their first start for Nebraska this week. Freshman Justin Jennings is making his first collegiate start and junior Calvin Freeman tees it up after two seasons at Southeast Community College-Beatrice.
• Ross Dickson (No. 2) and Matt Record (No. 5) return to the NU lineup following appearances in the season-opening tournament in Columbia, Mo.
• The Huskers have three consecutive top-10 finishes dating back to last season, including last week’s NCAA Columbia Regional Preview. Nebraska concluded the 2012-13 campaign with a ninth-place result at the Big Ten Championships after taking fifth place at the Hawkeye Invitational. In all, NU managed nine top-10 finishes in 11 stroke play events during 2012-13.
• Four newcomers joined the Huskers prior to the 2013-14 season:
- Mike Siwa is a senior after transferring from South Mountain Community College, where he played baseball. Siwa attended high school at Omaha Burke.
- Calvin Freeman transferred from Southeast Community College in Beatrice, Neb., where he twice earned first-team NJCAA All-America honors. Freeman, a Table Rock, Neb. native, went to high school at Humboldt-Table Rock-Steinauer and placed in the state golf top 10 all four years.
- Ian Hagener played high school golf at Desert Mountain in Scottsdale, Ariz. and begins his freshman season in 2013-14.
- Justin Jennings comes to Nebraska after golfing at Canyon Randall High School in Amarillo, Texas.
• Nebraska is set to make three appearances this fall following this week’s Mark Simpson CU Invitational. After competing in Colorado, the Huskers take a two-week break from competition before returning at the Firestone Intercollegiate, Oct. 7-8, at Firestone Country Club in Akron, Ohio. Two weeks later Nebraska heads to Las Cruces, N.M. for the Herb Wimberly Intercollegiate, Oct. 21-22. The fall season concludes three days later at the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational at Butterfield Trail Golf Club in El Paso, Texas.
• In the spring, the Huskers have seven tournaments scheduled, including the Big Ten Championships, May 2-4, at the Pete Dye Course in French Lick, Ind. NU opens its spring season Feb. 7-8 at the Big Ten Match Play in Bradenton, Fla., before trips to Palm Desert, Calif.; Aiken, S.C.; Goodyear, Ariz.; Iowa City, Iowa; and Rochester, N.Y.
• Under Head Coach Bill Spangler, who is in his 13th season, the Nebraska men’s golf team has won 10 tournament titles. Spangler has also guided the Huskers to 30 top-three tournament finishes and six individual titles.
• The Nebraska men’s golf program has four NCAA Championship appearances along with seven NCAA Regional starts. In every season from 2010 to 2012, the Huskers sent one individual to the NCAA Regionals. Scott Willman tied for 40th at the Norman Regional (2012), Andrew Wyatt tied for 41st at the Colorado Regional (2011) and Brandon Crick tied for eighth at the West Regional (2010).