Huskers Rally To Overcome Blazers In Singles
Atlanta, Ga. - The Nebraska men's tennis team (5-3, 0-0 Big Ten) rallied to grab a 5-2 comeback win over UAB (4-5, 2-1 Conference USA) in Saturday's road match. The Huskers dropped the doubles point early but persevered to grab five of the six singles matches and earn the team victory.
In doubles, UAB's Rafael Rondino and Luiz Felipe Pinto toppled Nebraska's Andrew Dzulynsky and Dusty Boyer 8-4 at the No. 3 while NU's Brandon Videtich and Bradford Zitsch ousted the Blazers' Lucas Dirube and Donovan McSeveney 8-6 at the No. 1 spot. UAB earned the doubles point at the No. 2 when Chris Helliar and Mitchell Martell defeated the Huskers' Marc Herrmann and Beau Treyz 8-6.
Moving into singles with UAB on top 1-0, Nebraska rallied to win five of the matches and take the match. At the No. 1 spot, NU's Boyer earned a huge win over the Blazers' No. 86-ranked Helliar 6-4, 6-1 while fellow Husker Herrmann edged out Alabama-Birmingham's Rondino 6-1, 2-6, 6-2 at the No. 2.
The Big Red's Tom Blackwell scorched UAB's Dirbue 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 3 as teammate Dzulynsky narrowly defeated the Blazers' Vancurik 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-2) at the No. 4 spot. UAB earned their only singles victory at the No. 5 when McSeveney trounced NU's Treyz 6-3, 6-2. The final match at the No. 6 saw a 6-1, 6-4 victory for Nebraska's Vasileios Stavropoulos against UAB's Pinto.
"We played a solid match today after losing the doubles point," Nebraska Coach Kerry McDermott said. "In doubles we lost at the No. 3 pretty quickly and then at the No. 1 Brandon (Videtich) and Bradford (Zitsch) came through in the clutch and won 8-6 and it set up a dramatic match at the No. 2 where we lost an 8-6 decision. It was good to see the character of this team today bounce back and not let the loss of the doubles point affect our attitude going into singles. Champions rise above and that's what this team did in singles today. We are excited about the win today and are looking forward to playing GSU tomorrow morning in what should be a very competitive match."
The Huskers are set to face the Georgia State Panthers Sunday at 10 a.m.
No. 59 Nebraska - 5
UAB Blazers - 2
1. Brandon Videtich/Bradford Zitsch (NU) def. Lucas Dirube/Donovan McSeveney (UAB) 8-6
2. Mitchell Martell/Chris Helliar (UAB) def. Marc Herrmann/Beau Treyz (NU) 8-6
3. Rafael Rondino/Luiz Felipe Pinto (UAB) def. Andrew Dzulnsky/Dusty Boyer (NU) 8-4
1. Dusty Boyer (NU) def. No. 86 Chris Helliar (UAB) 6-4, 6-1
2. Marc Herrmann (NU) def. Rafael Rodino (UAB) 6-1, 2-6, 6-2
3. Tom Blackwell (NU) def. Lucas Dirube (UAB) 6-2, 6-2
4. Andrew Dzulnsky (NU) def. Vancurik (UAB) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-2)
5. Donovan McSeveney (UAB) def. Beau Treyz (NU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Vasileios Stavropolous (NU) def. Luiz Felipe Pinto (UAB) 6-1, 6-4