East Lansing, Mich. - The Nebraksa men's tennis team (12-15, 3-8 Big Ten) ended its 2014 spring tennis season on Thursday when the Huskers fell 4-0 to Michigan State (12-13, 5-6 Big Ten) in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament.
The Huskers dropped the doubles point before slipping in three straight singles matches as the Spartans advanced.
In doubles, Michigan State's Harry Jadun and Gijs Linders ousted Nebraska's Dusty Boyer and Marc Herrmann 8-2 at the No. 2 position while fellow Spartans Brett Forman and Aaron Pfister routed the Huskers' Tom Blackwell and Scott Elsass 8-2 at the No. 3 spot. The doubles match at the No. 1 court went unfinished once the point was decided.
In singles, Michigan State's Jadun rolled past Nebraska's Brandon Videtich 6-2, 6-0 at the No. 6 spot while fellow Spartan Pfister toppled the Huskers' Blackwell 6-3, 6-4 at the No. 3 court. The match was decided at the No. 1 position, where MSU's Drew Lied defeated NU's Boyer 6-4, 6-2 to knock out the Big Red and put the host Spartans through to the quarterfinals.
The Huskers completed their season in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament after improving on their record from 2013. Nebraska will begin its 2014-15 campaign during the fall semester.
No. 69 Nebraska - 0
No. 61 Michigan State - 4
East Lansing, Mich.
1. Drew Lied (MSU) def. Dusty Boyer (NU) 6-4, 6-2
2. John Patrick Mullane (MSU) vs. Marc Herrmann (NU) DNF
3. Aaron Pfister (MSU) def. Tom Blackwell (NU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Brett Forman (MSU) vs. Andrew Dzulynsky (NU) DNF
5. Gijs Linders (MSU) vs. Vasileios Stavropoulos (NU) DNF
6. Harry Jadun (MSU) def. Brandon Videtich (NU) 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish (6, 3, 1)
1. Drew Lied/John Patrick Mullane (MSU) vs. Brandon Videtich/Bradford Zitsch (NU) DNF
2. Harry Jadun/Gijs Linders (MSU) def. Dusty Boyer/Marc Herrmann (NU) 8-2
3. Aaron Pfister/Brett Forman (MSU) def. Scott Elsass/Tom Blackwell (NU) 8-2
Order of finish (2, 3)