NU Sends Redbirds Back To Their Nest
Lincoln, Neb. - The Nebraska women’s team (3-3, 0-0 Big Ten) overpowered Illinois State (5-3, 0-0 MVC) on Sunday at the Nebraska Tennis Center in their 5-2 win over the Redbirds. The Huskers slipped in doubles, coughing up the point to ISU, but gained their hold on the match in singles with four fast wins to trounce the Redbirds and secure the victory.
The morning started on the doubles courts, where Illinois State was able to grab the point and the early 1-0 lead. At the No. 1 position, NU’s Maggy Lehmicke and Mary Hanna rolled past Illinois State’s Phyllis Tigges and Madeliene Baillon 8-3 before the Redbirds answered with a victory of their own at the No. 3 spot when Heather Nisbet and Kadi Ilves ousted Huskers Lisa Andersson and Hannah Sulz 8-5. The point was decided at the No. 2 position when ISU’s Emmie Marx and Sierra Stone outpaced Nebraska’s Maike Zeppernick and Izabella Zgierska 8-6.
The lead was short-lived for the Redbirds once the singles matches started. Nebraska’s Hanna quickly brought the game back to level terms at the No. 3 position with a win over Illinois State’s Carolina Abello 6-1, 6-1. After that it was the Huskers turn to take the lead when they pushed the score to 2-1 at the No. 1 spot when No. 80-ranked Lehmicke toppled ISU’s Marx 6-2, 6-3.
NU edged their way closer to victory at the No. 5 singles when Zeppernick dropped the Redbirds’ Baillon 6-3, 6-4. There was no turning back as the Huskers sealed the team victory at the No. 2 when Zgierska defeated Tigges 7-6 (7-0), 6-2 to reach the necessary four points for the win.
The final two matches played through at the No. 4 and 6 positions. At the No. 6, ISU’s Ilves knocked off NU’s Sulz 6-2, 2-6, 6-3 while fellow Husker Andersson defeated the Redbirds’ Stone 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 1-0 (10-4) at the No. 4.
Next up for the Huskers is a double-header on Saturday, Feb. 22 at home when they host Air Force and Northern Iowa at 10 a.m. and 2:30 p.m., respectively. The following weekend sees Nebraska facing Drake on Friday, Feb. 28 at 5 p.m. and Colorado State on Sunday, March 2 at 11 a.m., with both matches at home.
No. 49 Nebraska - 5
Illinois State - 2
1. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Emmie Marx (ISU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Phyllis Tigges (ISU) 7-6 (7-0), 6-2
3. Mary Hanna (NU) def. Carolina Abello (ISU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Lisa Andersson (NU) def. Sierra Stone (ISU) 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 1-0 (10-4)
5. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Madeliene Baillon (ISU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Kadi Ilves (ISU) def. Hannah Sulz (NU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
Order of finish (3, 1, 5, 2, 6, 4)
1. Maggy Lehmicke/Mary Hanna (NU) def. Phyllis Tigges/Madeliene Baillon (ISU) 8-3
2. Emmie Marx/Sierra Stone (ISU) def. Maike Zeppernick/Izabella Zgierska (NU) 8-6
3. Heather Nisbet/Kadi Ilves (ISU) def. Lisa Andersson/Hannah Sulz (NU) 8-5
Order of finish (1, 3, 2)